Scotland Yard race row settled as Muslim officer departsNovember 26th, 2008 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
London, Nov 25 (DPA) A potentially damaging legal row over allegations of racism in Britain’s top police force was resolved with an out-of-court settlement Tuesday.However, the agreement struck between Scotland Yard and Tarique Ghaffur, the man who made the allegations, also entails Ghaffur’s departure from the service after 34 years.
Ghaffur, who was third-in-command at Scotland Yard and the force’s most high-ranking Muslim officer, accused outgoing police chief Ian Blair of racial discrimination earlier this year and said he would take his case to an industrial tribunal.
The simmering row played a part in Blair’s decision to step down from the leadership of Scotland Yard early next month.
A joint statement issued Tuesday said that while Ghaffur had retracted his allegations, the force had recognized that “hurt” had been caused to the 53-year-old officer.
Ghaffur, a Ugandan Asian who joined British police at the age of 16, was understood to have received a pay-off of about 300,000 pounds ($450,000) and will be able to draw his full pension.
Commentators said the end of the public wrangle involving Ghaffur was unlikely to allay concern over below-target recruitment of officers from ethnic minority groups into Britain’s police force.
Recent government figures showed that, at national level, 4.1 percent of officers were from ethnic minorities, far short of the 7-percent target set for 2009.
- Scotland Yard admits racial discrimination in force - Jan 08, 2010
- London Mayor to launch inquiry into racism at the Met - Oct 06, 2008
- London police asked to have more ethnic officers - Jul 08, 2010
- Brit Muslim officer''s suspension sinks race ties at Scotland Yard to a new low - Sep 20, 2008
- Britains top cop had his Asian rival bugged - Aug 18, 2008
- Senior Asian British police officer sues over racial discrimination, humiliation - Aug 23, 2008
- London mayor orders police racism inquiry after charges - Oct 06, 2008
- Ghaffur Case: London Met now swamped by race discrimination claims - Aug 30, 2008
- Asian officer loses racial bias case against Met - Sep 02, 2008
- 'British Asian officer in 300,000 pound deal to end racism claim' - Nov 05, 2008
- Scotland Yard refuses to apologise to Brit Asian police officer, but pays him 300K pounds - Nov 26, 2008
- UK race row cop told to `shut up and get on with his job - Aug 29, 2008
- Asian officer of London police claims threats to life - Aug 31, 2008
- Top Asian police officer files race charges against force - Aug 23, 2008
- Suspended Brit Iranian police officer Dizaei to launch MET race claim - Dec 17, 2008