Scores of Christians convert to Hinduism in KandhamalOctober 17th, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Phulbani (Orissa), Oct 17 (IANS) Scores of Christians have converted to Hinduism in Orissa’s troubled Kandhamal district in the past weeks to save their lives and properties, a government official admitted Friday. “We have received over 50 complaints where people alleged that Hindu villagers are forcing them to convert to Hinduism if want to save their lives and properties,” a senior district administration official told IANS.
“Over 30 people have informed us in writing that they changed their religion to Hinduism on their own and without any force,” he said, adding that all the complaints were being investigated and action would be taken as per law.
However, Sajan K. George, president of the Global Council of Indian Christians (GCIC), said that the number of people who converted to Hinduism forcibly would be more than 600.
“The villagers tonsured my head and forced me to drink cow dung water,” a victim claimed in a relief camp in this town, the district headquarters of the volatile Kandhamal district that has borne the brunt of the communal violence following the killing of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides on Aug 23 at his Jalespata Ashram.
Hindus in the region blamed Christians for the killing and went on a rampage against the community.
At least 36 people, mostly Christians, were killed and thousands of homes burnt in the district during the violence. Over 20,000 people, mainly Christians, have taken shelter in relief camps after their houses were torched by rampaging Hindu mobs.
Although there has been no violence since past over two weeks, tension continues in the region over religious conversions.
While night curfew is in force in nine towns in Kandhamal, prohibitory orders banning any gathering of four and more people are in force across the district.
- Scores of Christians convert to Hinduism in Orissa's Kandhamal (Lead) - Oct 17, 2008
- Christian group demands jobs, protection for riot victims - Feb 23, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- 14 held in Orissa for flouting conversion rules (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Rights panel concerned over farmers' suicides in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: 15 get three-year jail term - Sep 30, 2010
- NGO holds hearing on Orissa's anti-Christian violence - Aug 22, 2010
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010