Scolari attacks Lampard red cardFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 2 (DPA) Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari urged the Football Association (FA) to overturn Frank Lampard’s dismissal in his side’s 2-0 defeat to Liverpool.The midfielder was sent-off on the hour for a challenge on Xabi Alonso. His foot was shin-high and studs were raised, but there seemed little force in the tackle. The score was 0-0 at the time, but Liverpool went on to dominate and scored two late goals through Fernando Torres.
Scolari did, though, admit that full-back Jose Bosingwa could be sanctioned after a bizarre incident in which he placed his foot in the back of Yossi Benayoun as he shielded the ball, and shoved him off the pitch.
The incident was not punished by match referee Mike Riley.
“I do not want to criticize the referee. All I ask is that he looks at the video with the men from the FA,” Scolari told reporters.
“If they agree that Lampard did not commit a foul for his red card, maybe they will change the decision.”
The loss of Lampard “changed the game for us 1 million per cent. We lost the middle and did not have the ball,” Scolari said. “They created more chances and had more possession. And they were able to score the goals after that decision.”
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Torres on song as Spain knock out Ireland - Jun 15, 2012
- Spain win Group H, go through with Chile (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Euro 2012: Last-gasp Navas goal sends Spain through, Croatia out - Jun 19, 2012
- Liverpool stunned by Reading in FA Cup third round - Jan 14, 2010
- Spain beat Chile, both qualify for Round 16 (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2010
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Ferguson furious as Chelsea's Luiz escapes red card for Rooney foul - Mar 02, 2011
- Spain beat Dutch to capture first World Cup title (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Spain reach semi-final with 1-0 win over Paraguay (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- David Luiz vindicates Chelsea's faith in him - Mar 02, 2011
- Iniesta goal gives Spain World Cup glory (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Spain still hopeful after being stunned by Swiss Second lead) - Jun 17, 2010