Scientific panel formed to check fever that killed over 120August 27th, 2008 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 27 (IANS) A panel of scientists, including experts from National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune, has been formed to contain a mysterious fever that has claimed over 120 lives in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur division in the last three weeks, an official said Wednesday.”The scientific panel will be headed by M.M. Gore of NIV. At present, Gore is associated with NIV’s field station in Gorakhpur district (of Uttar Pradesh),” an NIV scientist told IANS on phone from Pune.
Gore’s field of specialisation is anti-viral immunology, she said.
Besides NIV experts, scientists and doctors from Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Science, Lucknow, B.R.D. Medical College Gorakhpur and other hospitals are also the members of the panel, sources said.
I.S. Srivastava, director general (medical and health), confirmed that the scientific panel has been constituted to counter the mysterious fever.
The unofficial count of the deaths due to the mysterious disease in six districts of Kanpur division is 160.
The worst hit by the mystery disease is Akbarpur district, where 100 people have died, said a district administration official.
Several villages of the district including Akorhi, Satti, Naseerpur and Chataina are badly affected, he added.
Even as experts fear the disease can spread to adjoining districts of Kanpur division, health officials refused to comment.
The mysterious disease, which is afflicting about 8-10 people daily, is marked by high fever, an official said. Symptoms of the mystery disease are similar to that of malaria and jaundice, he added.
A team of officials from the union health ministry arrived in Kanpur rural district and collected patients’ blood samples.
- Mysterious disease claims 120 lives in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 26, 2008
- Japanese Encephalitis: Azad visits Gorakhpur - Oct 20, 2011
- Encephalitis scare in UP after 88 deaths - Jun 16, 2012
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh battles viruses, over 200 dead - Sep 10, 2010
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- WHO experts investigate Bihar's mystery disease - Jun 24, 2011
- Lethal virus not spreading in Gujarat, says minister - Jan 20, 2011
- Mystery disease kills three more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Police cane charge violent medics in UP - Sep 04, 2012
- Mystery disease kills two more in Bihar - Jun 22, 2011
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- GoM on Japanese encephalitis to meet soon: Azad - Nov 08, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Bihar's mystery disease identified as toll rises to 41 - Jun 23, 2011