‘Schools not funded by state do not come under RTI purview’November 16th, 2008 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 16 (IANS) The central government has informed the Delhi High Court that educational institutions which are not funded by the state are not covered under the Right to Information Act.The government made the submission while challenging a Central Information Commission (CIC) order directing a school run by the Indian Air Force to provide information sought in an RTI application.
Advocate S.K. Dubey, appearing in the court for the government, contended that institutions which do not receive government funds cannot be directed to reveal information under the RTI Act.
“Air Force schools are non-public fund ventures and are administered and managed by a society. These schools cannot be termed as public authority under the RTI Act,” Dubey said while challenging the CIC’s order.
Justice G.S. Sistani, after hearing the contentions of the government, stayed the CIC order and directed the commission to file its response on the government’s plea.
The CIC held that army schools are public authority as they are headed by serving officers from the forces.
“Even if we were to concede that the school is a private body, by dint of its head being a service officer and serving as head in that capacity, the officer has the authority to access the information regarding the school and is therefore required to service an RTI application,” the commission had said.
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Donations by president: Information panel's order stayed - May 29, 2012
- Court stays order to make president's donations public - Jul 13, 2012
- President comes under RTI, make donations public: Court (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Court stays information panel's order to RBI on RTI plea - Dec 09, 2011
- Court stays transparency panel's order on school data - Jan 11, 2011
- RTI applies to Commonwealth Games organising committee (Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Transparency panel's order on Supreme Court cases stayed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011
- Rent dues notice to Meira Kumar withdrawn - May 08, 2012
- Ex-judge moves high court over complaint against him - Feb 01, 2011
- Apex court restores powers of transparency panel chief - Oct 18, 2010
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- Court blocks Narayanan-Vajpayee letters on Gujarat riots (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Court stays information panel's order on banks (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011