School bus mows down two sisters in DelhiSeptember 9th, 2008 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 9 (IANS) A school bus Tuesday ran over two sisters, who were returning home from school in northeast Delhi, leading to protests in the area, including torching of the bus.A private-chartered bus belonging to Arvachin Public School was returning around 12.30 p.m. to the school from Jafarabad area when it mowed down two sisters Jainab, 9, and Jeenat, 7, both of whom were standing on the roadside in Seelampur area.
The girls were returning home from their nearby Zakir Hussain Senior Secondary School.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Jaspal Singh told IANS that the bus was moving at a slow speed when the accident took place.
The elder sister died on the spot, while the younger succumbed to severe head injuries at the Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital.
The driver of the bus, Satender, told the police that he could not see the girls standing and unintentionally ran over them. He was arrested and a case of rash and negligent driving was registered against him.
As the news of incident spread in the area, people gathered in large number and broke the windowpanes of the bus. They set the bus on fire.
The police and two fire-fighting tenders reached the spot and doused the flames.
Zahid Ali, father of the dead girls, was at his tailoring shop when he was informed about the accident.
“I was working when some one came rushing to me and informed about the accident. I found my daughters in a pool of blood and surrounded by people,” Ali said.
“Jainab had died before I reached the spot but Jeenat was alive at that time. I took her to hospital where she also died after some time,” he added.
The sisters were the second and third among four children of her parents.
- Two women show the way forward in backward Rajasthan village - Sep 20, 2011
- 40 tourists injured as bus overturns in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Clash in Uttar Pradesh city after woman's death - Mar 26, 2011
- Locals protest after school bus runs down class 9 girl - Feb 17, 2011
- Man run over by DTC bus - Jul 28, 2012
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- Two killed in accident - Mar 14, 2012
- Three students die in bus accident (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Court queries school girl's death in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Siblings run over by DTC bus in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 03, 2010
- Speeding tanker crushes four to death - Aug 10, 2011
- Two students killed as truck rams into school bus - Jan 28, 2011
- School bus in Kashmir rolls into gorge, 3 killed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Five killed in car accident near Moscow - Jul 22, 2012
- Minor motorcyclist killed in accident - Nov 15, 2011