Scholarship schemes for minorities approvedJuly 27th, 2008 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The government has approved three scholarship schemes for students belonging to minority communities of India with 30 percent earmarked for girl students. The scholarships were approved last week under the prime minister’s new 15-point programme for the welfare of minorities.
“The minority affairs ministry has announced merit-cum-means based scholarship, post-matric scholarship and pre-matric scholarships for students from minority communities,” a ministry official said.
The merit-cum-means scholarship is for students going for technical and professional courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
“Under this scheme, 20,000 new scholarships will be provided every year. Already 17,182 scholarships are sanctioned to 28 states and union territories,” the official said.
The students of Class 11 to PhD level will be able to avail the benefits of post-matric scholarships provided by the ministry.
“The scholarships also cover technical and vocational courses. The government has targeted 1.5 million scholarships for the Eleventh Five Year Plan under this category,” the official said.
The government has already announced 55,771 scholarships for students in 26 states and union territories. Of these, 57 percent will be given to girl students.
Under pre-matric scholarships, the admission fee and tuition fee will be reimbursed for students of Class 1 to Class 10 of minority communities.
“There are several other scholarships for providing coaching to students for professional courses,” the official said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced the welfare programme for minorities in 2005 with a vision to enhance opportunities for education for minority communities besides improving their conditions of living.
- Budget: Minority girl students to get free cycles - Mar 16, 2012
- 'Over 95 lakh Muslim students benefited through scholarships' - Aug 23, 2012
- Over 40,000 scholarships provided to minority community - Jul 13, 2012
- Khurshid launches student module of OSMS for minority community students - Apr 15, 2011
- Andhra students intensify stir over cap on fee reimbursement - Aug 09, 2012
- Post-Class 10 scholarships hiked for Schedule Tribes students - Jun 02, 2011
- Tribal students to benefit from new central scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Rs.1,300 crore spent on 'quality' education of SC students - Feb 25, 2010
- Social Justice and Empowernment Ministry utilizes over 97 percent of 2010-11 plan budget - Apr 03, 2011
- Focussed on welfare schemes for SC, ST, minorities: PM (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Education gets 24 percent hike (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Education gets 24 percent hike in budget allocation - Feb 28, 2011
- Plan outlay for Minority Affairs ministry increased by 74 per cent - Jul 06, 2009
- India raises education, health spending (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Funds for minority welfare up by 74 percent (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009