Schemes changing situation of minorities: PMDecember 29th, 2011 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday said the central government has launched several schemes based on recommendations of the Sachar Committee and these were bringing a change in the situation of the minorities.
Speaking at the International Dalit and Minorities Conference here, the prime minister said that it was often said that the government had not implemented the recommendations of the committee, but that was not true.
“The government has launched several schemes based on the recommendations of the Sachar Committee and these were bringing change in the situation of the minorities. But I agree that we need to fasten the process,” he said.
The seven-member committee, headed by former chief justice of the Delhi High Court Rajinder Sachar, gave its report to the central government in 2006 on the social, economic and educational status of Muslims.
Listing out the schemes launched by the government for minorities and Dalits, the prime minister said that the government was committed to take steps for development of the minorities.
“We have brought the forest rights act which provides ownership of forest land to indigenous people. There has been an increase in the recruitment of minorities in government jobs, security forces and banking services,” he said.
- Congress not serious about Muslims' welfare: Azam Khan - Aug 12, 2012
- Sachar committee member demands creation of Indian Waqf Service - Jul 11, 2011
- Mahesh Bhatt hails Mamata for minority welfare - Jul 15, 2012
- Ambitious plans for Muslims ahead of Tripura polls - Feb 29, 2012
- Muslim Personal Law Board slams Khursheed - Jul 16, 2012
- Mayawati seeks reservation for Muslims - Sep 18, 2011
- Will follow Sachar's advice on minority welfare: Mamata - Jul 30, 2011
- Will review cases of all political prisoners: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- Why quotas for only OBC Muslims, asks community - Dec 02, 2011
- MIM wants immediate steps for reservations for Muslims - Sep 25, 2011
- Lokpal panel still divided on inclusion of PM (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
- Committee on minority education seeks databank creation (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Time for regime change in Bengal, says PM (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Where will Bengal's Muslim votes go? - Apr 25, 2011
- Urdu medium schools for Muslims in UP - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: banking services, central government, chief justice, dalit, delhi high court, educational status, forest land, government jobs, indigenous people, manmohan, manmohan singh, member committee, minorities, muslims, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajinder, recruitment, security forces