Scarlett’s vital organs to be handed over to her motherJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 3 (IANS) Slain British teenager Scarlett Keeling’s internal body organs that had been extracted during two separate autopsies in Goa will now be handed over to her mother Fiona Mackeown, a lawyer said Saturday. Speaking to reporters, Fiona’s counsel Vikram Varma said that the Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) which is investigating the case had agreed to hand over the organs to the mother, who had welcomed the step.
“We are only working out the modalities now. On how the organs need to be sent to her mother in UK,” Varma said.
“After the third autopsy is completed and organs are handed over will Scarlett’s remains be buried,” the lawyer said. The third autopsy is being conducted in UK.
Fiona had claimed that the Indian authorities were refusing to hand over her daughter’s organs like the spleen, kidney, etc, which were surgically removed for autopsy. The mother had also insisted that her daughter would not be buried until all her organs which had been extracted were handed over to her.
“She is waiting to give her daughter Scarlett a decent burial,” Varma said.
Fiona’s comments that her daughter’s vital organs were missing had created a furore, forcing the state government to clarify that the organs had been extracted as part of autopsy procedure.
Scarlett Keeling’s body was found in a half naked state at Anjuna beach in February last year.
The police had earlier tried to dismiss the case as suicide. But Fiona’s subsequent campaign for justice attracted international spotlight.
Fiona has claimed that the drug mafia in Goa was involved in her daughter’s murder and had even named Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik’s son Roy as a suspect, a charge the minister refuted.
- Scarlett's mother to depose in Goa court July 30 - Jul 26, 2010
- Fiona unable to come for Scarlett's April 16 hearing - Apr 15, 2010
- Scarlett case: Mother says trial could help other tourist victims seek justice - Jul 31, 2010
- Goa forensic labs destroyed Scarlett's organs: lawyer - Jan 28, 2009
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
- Website publishes sorry aftermath of British teenager's killing in Goa - Aug 01, 2009
- Scarlett's mother wants dead daughter's organs returned - Oct 13, 2008
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Scarlett's character being maligned: Fiona - Aug 02, 2010
- Fiona likely to depose in court in Scarlett trial: Lawyer - Apr 14, 2010
- Scarlett trial scarring Goa's image in Britain: Tourism body - Apr 14, 2010
- Scarlett's boyfriend's aunts thought evil possessed him: Fiona - Jul 30, 2010
- 'Probe Goa home minister's son in Scarlett case' (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling murder retold on 'Anjuna Beach' - Jul 02, 2011
- I don't know if there will be justice: Fiona Mackeown - Apr 19, 2010