Scarlett rape, murder trial to beginMarch 19th, 2010 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 19 (IANS) The much-awaited trial into the rape and murder of 15-year-old British teenager Scarlett Keeling will begin April 5 with the examination of 10 witnesses.
The Goa Children’s Court (GCC), where the case came up Friday, set the date.
GCC president B.P. Deshpande said the first set of 10 witnesses would be examined by the prosecution on the appointed date.
Public prosecutor S. Rivonkar, counsel for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), had said 72 witnesses would be examined during the trial as far as the prosecution was concerned.
Scarlett’s mother, Fiona McKeown, had alleged shoddy work by the Goa Police. The CBI, which then probed the case, named two beach shack workers — Samson D’Souza and Placido Carvalho — as the main accused.
In its chargesheet filed in October last year, the investigative agency had booked the duo under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, including for culpable homicide not amounting to murder as well as assault and under two sections of the Goa Children’s Act.
Scarlett’s half-naked body was found at Anjuna beach in February 2008. The police earlier tried to dismiss the case as a suicide. But her mother’s subsequent campaign for justice had attracted international spotlight and exposed Goa tourism’s ugly underbelly.
- Fiona can depose via video conference in Scarlett case: CBI - Apr 05, 2010
- 'Night before death Scarlett was singing, talking about stars' - Jul 29, 2010
- Scarlett's body had froth at mouth, says cop - Apr 05, 2010
- Scarlett was frothing from mouth, cop tells court (Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- Scarlett's mother to depose in Goa court July 30 - Jul 26, 2010
- Spanish friend to depose in Scarlett rape case - Apr 02, 2010
- Scarlett case dragging, CBI prosecutor wants to withdraw - Feb 03, 2011
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
- Fiona likely to depose in court in Scarlett trial: Lawyer - Apr 14, 2010
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Murdered Scarlett Keeling's mum to appear at the trial of accused - Jul 30, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling murder retold on 'Anjuna Beach' - Jul 02, 2011
- Scarlett's diary crucial pages missing: Defence lawyer - Aug 27, 2010
- CBI paves way for trial of two for Scarlett murder - Oct 21, 2009
- Scarlett's body bore scars and abrasions, recalls cop - Apr 09, 2010
Tags: awaited trial, british teenager, cbi, central bureau of investigation, culpable homicide, deshpande, gcc, goa police, goa tourism, indian penal code, international spotlight, investigative agency, mckeown, murder trial, naked body, placido, public prosecutor, rape murder, shoddy work, underbelly