Scarlett murder investigator’s dismissal revokedApril 1st, 2009 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 1 (IANS) The Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court Wednesday struck down the dismissal of the investigating police officer who was accused of sabotaging probe into the murder of British teenager Scarlett Keeling in February last year.
The controversial police sub-inspector Nerlon Albuquerque, who was the headed the Anjuna police station when the incident occurred, would, however, continue to be suspended from service, pending a departmental enquiry into his conduct in the sensational murder of Scarlett.
Revoking his dismissal, the high court laid down a time-frame for completing a departmental enquiry against the officer. “If the department wants to conduct an enquiry against Albuquerque, it should be completed by August 31, 2009,” the court said.
Albuquerque was dismissed from service by the Goa Police Establishment Board March 14 last year, for allegedly sabotaging investigations into Scarlett’s murder, a month earlier.
The officer had then challenged the police board decision, stating his dismissal was a result of political, media pressure and against the principles of natural justice.
Albuquerque came under immense media criticism for laxity in investigating Scarlett’s death. Albuquerque in his report to his seniors had stated that Scarlett died due to accidental drowning and not in a homicide.
The 15-year-old Scarlett was found dead at Anjuna beach Feb 18 last year.
- Fiona deposes in Goa court; says police suppressed facts - Jul 30, 2010
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- I fear for my life in Goa, says Scarlett's mother (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2009
- Scarlett case dragging, CBI prosecutor wants to withdraw - Feb 03, 2011
- A year on, justice continues to elude Scarlett Keeling - Feb 18, 2009
- CBI not allowed to make tests on Scarlett case accused - Sep 04, 2009
- Scarlett rape, murder trial to begin - Mar 19, 2010
- 'Night before death Scarlett was singing, talking about stars' - Jul 29, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
- Scarlett's mother 'shocked' as murder, rape charges dropped - Oct 22, 2009
- CBI team may visit Britain to quiz Scarlett's mother (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- Scarlett's mother to depose in Goa court July 30 - Jul 26, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's mother fears being murdered by Goa "drugs nexus" - Aug 03, 2010
- Fiona can depose via video conference in Scarlett case: CBI - Apr 05, 2010
- CBI paves way for trial of two for Scarlett murder - Oct 21, 2009