SC to hear Monday government plea on minorities’ sub-quotaJune 9th, 2012 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 9 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday will hear the central government’s petition challenging the Andhra Pradesh High Court verdict quashing 4.5 percent reservation for the minorities in central educational institutions and jobs.
The apex court bench of Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan and Justice J.S. Khehar will take up for hearing the government’s petition that contests the quashing of the reservation by the high court.
The petition contended that 4.5 percent reservation as a sub-quota within 27 percent quota for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) was not exclusively for the Muslims but for the minorities as a whole.
The high court May 28 quashed that 4.5 percent sub-quota reservation created through the issuance of an office memorandum Dec 22, 2011.
The high court observed that the issuance of the office memorandum for creating the sub-quota was rooted in religious basis than any other constitutional consideration.
The high court’s Chief Justice Madan B. Lokur (since elevated as a judge of the apex court) and Justice P.V. Sanjay Kumar, while quashing the memorandum, held that the sub-quota was created only on religious grounds and the government did not justify classification of religious minorities as a homogeneous group or as more backward classes deserving some special treatment.
Holding that the central government had entirely relied upon the Sachar Committee report on the socio-economic status of Muslims while creating the 4.5 percent sub-quota of reservation for the minorities, the high court said that Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Zoroastrians do not form a homogeneous group but a heterogeneous group.
- Court quashes 4.5 percent sub-quota for minorities (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Government files documents on minority sub-quota plea - Jun 12, 2012
- Apex Court refuses to suspend order on minority sub-quota - Jun 11, 2012
- No stay on sub-quota quashing to hit 325 IIT aspirants - Jun 13, 2012
- Supreme Court no to stay Andhra court sub-quota order (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- SC declines to stay Andhra court order against sub-quota (Third Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- SC declines to stay Andhra court order against sub-quota (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Apex court refuses to suspend order on minority sub-quota (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Will challenge sub-quota denial in apex court: Khurshid (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Government to move SC against quota decision - May 29, 2012
- Government fooling minorities on reservation: BJP - May 29, 2012
- BJP hails apex court decision on minority quota - Jun 11, 2012
- Congress was never serious about Muslim quota: Azam Khan - Jun 14, 2012
- Cabinet approves 4.5 percent minority quota (Third Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Minority quota a poll stunt: BJP - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh high court, apex court, buddhists, central government, chief justice, court bench, court verdict, educational institutions, heterogeneous group, homogeneous group, madan, religious basis, religious grounds, religious minorities, s radhakrishnan, sachar committee report, sanjay kumar, sikhs, socio economic status, zoroastrians