SC to examine plea to bar criminals from votingSeptember 5th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday decided to examine a plea seeking to bar people with criminal background from getting registered as voters and contesting elections to parliament and state assembles.
The apex court bench of Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice J. Chelameswar directed the listing of the matter Oct 10.
The petition by advocate Lily Thomas sought the striking down of the Section 8, 9, 11-A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, contending that these allowed convicts to continue as legislators pending their appeals.
The petition said that the act allowed a convict to be a voter, an election candidate and a lawmaker.
Thomas said that the remedy for keeping criminals out of the legislature did not rest with parliament but with the apex court.
The petition said that the mandatory qualification of being “citizen of India” for becoming a member of Lok Sabha and state assemblies should be read as a “voter-citizen” as provided under Article 326 of the constitution.
Thomas cited 15 instances of corrupt and illegal practices which would render a citizen disqualified to be a voter or a member of the legislature under Article 326.
The petition said that the real problem, however, was “centred on the use of unlimited mafia fund in elections - the way bad money drives out good money from the market, mafia politicians chase out genuine folks from the election field”.
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested - Jan 10, 2012
- Apex court rejects plea on election symbols (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Apex court rejects plea on election symbols - Apr 18, 2012
- Notice to centre on MPs facing criminal charges - Nov 04, 2011
- Marriages can be ended before cooling period: Apex court - Aug 25, 2012
- Supreme Court urges self-caution on exercising its powers - Mar 15, 2012
- Ban toxic imports, SC tells government (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- SC admits plea against acquittal in Bihar massacre (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- No sovereign immunity for Italian Marines, centre tells SC - Aug 31, 2012
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- Apex court asks CBI to reply to Vectra chief's plea (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Apex court notice on plea on Rajya Sabha polls in Delhi (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Election panel action against Ashok Chavan stayed - Nov 03, 2011
- Italian marines' plea: SC notice to centre, Kerala - Jul 19, 2012