SC tells government to decide on Balakrishnan caseMay 10th, 2012 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday asked the government to take a decision on a representation by the Committee on Judicial Accountability (CJA) seeking a presidential reference on the allegation of misconduct against NHRC chairman K.G. Balakrishnan when he was chief justice of India.
The apex court bench headed by Justices B.S. Chauhan and J.S. Khehar issued directions to the government citing the “peculiar sets and circumstances” of the case.
Pronouncing the judgement, Justice Khehar said if the government found that the allegation against the former chief justice of India was unworthy of being proceeded against then it would inform the petitioner, NGO Common Cause, accordingly.
However, the court said if the government decides in favour of the representation by the CJA, then it would proceed into the matter as mandated Under Section 5 (2) of the National Human Rights Commission Act.
The Supreme Court had Monday reserved its order on the petition. Besides allegations of misconduct against Justice Balakrishnan, it has also been alleged in the public suit that his two sons-in-law and brother amassed wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income when he was in the Supreme Court from 2007 to 2010.
- SC tells government to decide on Balakrishnan case (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Apex court reserves order on suit against Balakrishnan (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Apex court reserves order on suit against Balakrishnan - May 07, 2012
- Supreme Court questions government on Balakrishnan - Feb 13, 2012
- Apex court poser on plea against rights panel chief (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Apex court given report on ex-chief justice Balakrishnan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Refer allegations against Balakrishnan to apex court, president urged - Apr 05, 2011
- Government should persuade Balakrishnan to step down: Former CJI - Jun 26, 2011
- SC Bench recuses itself from hearing Dinakaran plea - Apr 28, 2011
- Plea seeking action against Hazare, aides dismissed (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Apex court seeks report on plaint against Balakrishnan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Impeachment proceedings against Justice Dinakaran stayed - Apr 29, 2011
- Apex court seeks status report on K.G. Balakrishnan - Feb 18, 2011
- Ex-CJI's three kins found in possession of black money: Income Tax department - Feb 26, 2011
- Balakrishnan refutes graft charges - May 08, 2011
Tags: allegation against, allegations, apex, apex court, chief justice of india, circumstances, commission act, court bench, favour, human rights commission, judgement, judicial accountability, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, ngo, nhrc, petition, petitioner, supreme court