SC summons record on appointment of new army chiefApril 23rd, 2012 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 23 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday summoned the entire record relating to the appointment of Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh as the next chief of army staff.
The apex court bench headed by Justice R.M. Lodha will also peruse the record relating to six other regional army commanders and that of the vice chief of the army staff who were in the zone of consideration for appointment as the army chief after the incumbent, Gen. V.K. Singh, retires May 31 this year.
The court summoned the records in the wake of a petition alleging that in the name of a succession plan, Bikram Singh’s appointment as the next army chief was manipulated right from 2005, when he was promoted as major general.
The government, hotly contesting the petition, described it as malicious and aimed at denigrating the institution of the army.
The court will take up the matter for further hearing at 2 p.m.
- SC dismisses plea against Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- SC dismisses plea against Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Army chief's age plea before Supreme Court Friday - Feb 09, 2012
- Court summons former army chief in defamation case (Third lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Army chief shuns comment on likely successor's shootout case - Jan 10, 2012
- Petitioners claim apex court was misled on next army chief (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Court summons former army chief in defamation case (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Minefield of controversies lie in next army chief's way (Comment) - Apr 15, 2012
- Court case by army chief 'unhealthy' precedent: Government (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- No vindictiveness in show cause notice: Army chief (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Suit against army chief shifted to another judge - May 07, 2012
- 'Indian Army has not probed Kashmir shootout involving likely chief' - Jan 12, 2012
- Court defers hearing against army chief - May 08, 2012
- Tejinder Singh withdraws plea from Supreme Court - May 10, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, appointment, army chief, army commanders, army staff, bikram singh, chief of army, court bench, incumbent, lodha, lt, New Delhi, petition, regional army, succession plan, summons, supreme court, vice chief