SC rejects plea, Talwars vow to nail Aarushi killers (Lead)June 7th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday ruled that Rajesh and Nupur Talwar would have to face trial in the twin murders of their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj, prompting the “deeply disappointed” dentist couple to vow that they would nail the killers and that justice would one day prevail.
As the Supreme Court bench of Justices A.K. Patnaik and J.S. Khehar rejected Nupur Talwar’s petition seeking review of the earlier order that she and her husband be tried for the 2008 murders and also turned down the plea for further investigation in the case, legal experts said proving innocence in court was now their only option.
While Nupur Talwar is at the Dasna jail in Ghaziabad, Rajesh Talwar is out on bail.
With all avenues except a trial closed, the Talwars said in an emotive statement soon after the setback in the apex court that they were “deeply disappointed” with the rejection of their review plea but accepted the order with humility.
“We will defend our honour and that of our only child, Aarushi, vigorously in court and we will not rest till all our innocence is proved, our honour vindicated and the real killers are apprehended and brought to trial,” the couple said.
“We are deeply disappointed at the dismissal of our review petition by the Supreme court, but we accept it with humility. We believe justice will one day prevail.”
Eminent criminal lawyer Majid Memon told IANS that that the way forward for the Tawlars was to stand trial and give evidence of their innocence.
Memon said that the review petition filed by the Tawlars had no meaning. The Supreme Court should not have interfered in the matter, as the Ghaziabad trial court was already hearing the matter, he added.
“The Supreme Court or the high court is not expected to interfere in the matter which is already being heard by the trial court,” Memon said.
“Now, the Talwar couple has to face trial and ensure that they are innocent.”
Advocate S.P.M. Tripathi added: “If they want to prove their innocence, they must face trial. Since charge has been framed and it has been accepted by the Supreme Court so they have to follow today’s order.”
Lawyer Ehtesham Hashmi, who has closely followed the case, told IANS: “If they want to come clean, they must face trial, lead evidence in defence and prove their innocence.”
Aarushi, 14, was found murdered at her parents’ Noida residence May 16, 2008. The body of Hemraj was found the next day on the terrace of the house.
Aarushi’s maintain that they are innocent and are being framed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) that has been unable to track the real killers.
A CBI court has charged the Talwars under sections 302/34 (murder with common intention) and 201 (destruction of evidence with common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
In addition to these, the court charged Rajesh Talwar under section 203 (giving false information respecting an offence committed) of IPC.
- Justice will one day prevail, say Rajesh and Nupur Talwar - Jun 07, 2012
- SC rejects plea, Talwars vow to nail Aarushi killers (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- In courts on daughter's fourth death anniversary - May 16, 2012
- Supreme Court reserves verdict on Nupur Talwar's plea - May 16, 2012
- CBI backs magistrate's stand against Talwars - May 10, 2012
- Nupur Talwar moves apex court for bail (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- SC directs Nupur Talwar to surrender in court - Apr 27, 2012
- Aarushi case: Arguments on charges inconclusive (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Framing of charges underway in Aarushi case - May 22, 2012
- Aarushi case: Arguments on charges conclude, order Thursday - May 23, 2012
- Aarushi case: Hearing adjourned till Tuesday (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- SC notice to CBI on Nupur Talwar's bail plea (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Nupur Talwar taken into custody (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Timeline of Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj killings (To go with 'Four years of a whodunit') - May 14, 2012
- Aarushi case: SC rejects Nupur Talwar's review plea (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: advocat, apex, apex court, criminal lawyer, domestic help, honour, humility, innocence, killers, legal experts, murders, New Delhi, nupur, plea, rajesh, setback, supreme court bench, talwar, trial court, vow