SC posts being given to general category, says Buta SinghMay 16th, 2010 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, May 16 (IANS) National Commission for the Scheduled Castes (NCSC) chairman Buta Singh Sunday said that Dalits were being denied their fundamental right in Madhya Pradesh and that the government was recruiting general category candidates to fill the backlog of vacancies reserved for the SCs.
Singh, who was on the fact-finding mission to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan’s native village in Sehore district, 100 km from here, after media reports that Dalits were not allowed entry into the three temples there, was accompanied by NCSC member from Madhya Pradesh Mahendra Boudh.
The commission chairman told mediapersons: “Though the Dalits were seen worshipping with others when we visited the temple, they left the moment we left the place.”
Singh also accused the Madhya Pradesh government of denying Dalits their fundamental right by recruiting general category candidates to fill the backlog of vacancies reserved for Dalits.
“The Madhya Pradesh government has been recruiting general category candidates to fill the backlog of vacancies reserved for SCs which is violation of Article 16 (4-B) of the Constitution and which amounts to negating their fundamental right,” he said.
The visiting duo also said that the Dalit sarpanch of Shahganj village in Sehore, Santosh Ahirwar, was removed on a flimsy ground after winning the post.
“Besides, the Dalits have been denied their adequate share of representation in the rural civic bodies in the state,” he said.
“Uttar Pradesh tops the list of the states followed by Bihar and Madhya Pradesh in atrocities against the scheduled castes,” Singh said, adding that the commission would submit its final report to President Pratibha Patil by May 26.
- Madhya Pradesh government pulled up over Dalit discrimination - May 20, 2010
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- PM seeks solution to quota in job promotions - Aug 21, 2012
- PM hints at amendment bill for quota in job promotions (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Quota for disabled in Lok Sabha jobs approved - Sep 13, 2011
- Most atrocities against Scheduled Castes in Uttar Pradesh: Buta Singh - Jul 21, 2009
- Drive re-launched to fill up reserved posts - Sep 08, 2011
- Government should implement reservation for disabled: MP - May 02, 2012
- Orissa 'not serious' in tackling Scheduled Castes' problems: panel - Oct 09, 2009
- Haryana to fill vacant posts for disabled - Apr 21, 2011
- Congress alleges victimisation of Dalits in Gujarat - May 31, 2010
- 54,637 reserved posts vacant - Aug 11, 2010
- Cabinet reviews vacant quota posts - Jan 04, 2012
- Half of MCD wards go to women, male politicians jittery - Jan 28, 2012
- Court reserves order on MCD polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: article 16, atrocities, backlog, bhopal, bihar, buta singh, castes, chief minister, civic bodies, commission chairman, constitution, dalits, fact finding mission, fundamental right, list of the states, madhya pradesh government, mahendra, president pratibha patil, temples, vacancies