SC orders pay review bonanza for defence officersSeptember 5th, 2012 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) In a good news for defence officers, the Supreme Court Tuesday directed the government to re-fix their pay scales in tune with the recommendations of the Fourth Pay Commission which were never implemented.
The total impact of the payment of dues on the exchequer would be around Rs.1,600 crore.
The beneficiaries of the order would be the army personnel from the rank of captain to brigadier and their counterparts in the air force and navy between Jan 1, 1986 and Jan 1, 2006.
A bench of Justice R.M. Lodha, Justice T.S. Thakur and Justice Anil R. Dave also directed the government to pay these personnel 6 percent per annum interest from Jan 1, 2006. The court order would become effective within 12 weeks.
The benefit would also be extended even to those defence personnel who had not approached the court to fight the case.
The court passed the order after it dismissed an application by the central government seeking the recall of its earlier order of March 8, 2010.
Counsel Aishwaraya Bhatti, who appeared for the aggrieved officers, said that the court order would be applicable to all the cases currently pending before any high court or before the Armed Forces Tribunal on the issue decided by them.
By its March 8, 2010 order, the apex court had agreed with the Kerala High Court and directed proper fixation of rank pay from Jan 1, 1986 and interest at the rate of 6 percent per annum. The high court order was passed on the plea of Major Dhanapalan.
The officers contended that there was a wrong fixation of rank pay awarded by the Fourth Pay Commission in which the element of rank pay was introduced for all ranks from captain to brigadier in the army and their equivalent ranks in the air force and the navy, in addition to pay in the integrated scale.
The pay commission recommended a hike in salary ranging between Rs.200-1,200 from the ranks of captain to brigadier.
- Pension bonanza for ex-servicemen after Supreme Court ruling - Mar 16, 2010
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Himachal not in favour of pay commission - Mar 25, 2012
- Set up panel for retired defence staff: Apex court (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- High court ultimatum to Gujarat government on pay revision - Jun 20, 2011
- Gujarat court summons officials on pay hike issue - Jun 14, 2011
- Sixth pay panel scales for Gujarat judicial officers soon - Nov 29, 2010
- Navy's career progression scheme to benefit 50,000 sailors - Jun 05, 2011
- Bhopal hospital staff seek pay hike, government gets notice (Lead) - Dec 12, 2011
- Constitute pay commission within three months: Himachal court - Dec 29, 2011
- Gujarat warned on delay in labour court judges' pay hike - Dec 28, 2010
- Gujarat High Court raps Narendra Modi government - Feb 08, 2012
- Court tells Sterlite to seek licence from pollution board - Jan 17, 2012
- Air India forms committee to implement Dharmadhikari report - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: anil, annum, apex, apex court, army personnel, beneficiaries, bhatti, bonanza, brigadier, central government, counterparts, fixation, kerala high court, lodha, New Delhi, pay scales, plea, rs 1, rs 200, thakur