Save environment campaign leaves a trail of garbageJune 30th, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 30 (IANS) It was nobly intentioned and got the support of a huge number of people. But a look at the garbage strewn around after the event and you realize that the ‘Save the Environment’ marathon organized by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in India (ICAI) betrayed its very cause. A prelude to their diamond jubilee celebration, the ‘Save the Environment’ marathon, organized here Sunday by ICAI, was flagged off by chief minister Sheila Dikshit and drew a huge crowd.
“This was an all-India event. ICAI has 117 branches across the country and we organized the Save Environment campaign in all these places. Although we will be having health check ups, motivational programmes et al during the celebrations, environment was the foremost issue we wanted to take up considering the alarming implications of global warming,” Shalini, spokesperson of Ved Jain, president of ICAI, told IANS.
However, pictures flashed across newspapers Monday about the large amount of garbage - sheets of paper and plastic bags - strewn around after the marathon on the India Gate lawns, where the event took place, posed a serious question about the aim of such events which don’t serve their purpose.
Anand Tiwari, spokesperson of the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), said they have provisions of issuing ‘chalans’ or fining individuals who litter public places but were not aware of this particular incident at India Gate.
“We were not aware of this incident… otherwise we fine such people who litter public places,” Tiwari said.
Shying away from the reports, Shalini said they had a team to clean up the mess after the event got over.
More than 8,000 people took part in the marathon, she added.
- Simply banning plastic bags no solution to problem: NGOs - Mar 18, 2010
- Capital's colourscape - spotlight on people's art - Jan 12, 2011
- Islamabad launches major cleanliness campaign - May 14, 2011
- 'Lack of organ donors affecting liver transplants' - Jan 19, 2012
- Now, a fine for littering in Islamabad - Aug 17, 2011
- P.T.Usha named brand ambassador for Vasai-Virar Marathon - Sep 16, 2011
- Educating civic sense: Bangalore university to start course - Jan 04, 2012
- Flashmob dance, run - Delhi's fun ways to fight corruption - Jan 17, 2011
- A thousand hands to save Yamuna in Taj city (March 22 is World Water Day) - Mar 22, 2010
- Spiritual group prepares to clean entire Ganges - Jun 17, 2012
- Connaught Place to remain dug up for another year - Jul 15, 2011
- Please save Goa from drugs and garbage: German Goaphile (Letter from Goa) - Jun 23, 2012
- Youth participate in marathon against drug abuse in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 10, 2011
- 10,000 run in Maharashtra marathon for girl child - Sep 18, 2011
- Onion prices to lower further: Pranab - Jan 04, 2011