Saudi varsity establishes chair in name of Bangladeshi Nobel laureateFebruary 25th, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by admin
Dubai, Feb 25 (IANS) The King Saud University (KSU) in Riyadh has established research chair in the name of Nobel laureate and founder of Bangladesh’s Grameen Bank Mohammed Yunus. The new chair is part of the university’s research and development programme.”There will be 15 international scholarships under his (Yunus’s) name,” Fayez A. Al-Ghamdi, assistant professor of English at the university’s College of Arts, was quoted as saying by the Arab News newspaper.
Set up six months back, the research programme aims to forge strategic collaborations with international scholars.
Al-Ghamdi said a large number of Nobel laureates have been contacted by the university since last year.
“Five of the Nobel laureates have visited KSU and four of them signed service contracts with its rector, Abdullah Al-Othman,” he said.
In the second semester, eight Nobel laureates will visit the university, with the number set to go up to 14 this year.
The visiting laureates will serve as part-time faculty members at the university, and will make their own contribution to various programmes in the university.
“Through this programme we would like to reap the benefit of their rich experience and expertise by sponsoring joint research projects in scientific fields,” Al-Ghamdi said.
- Bangladeshi Nobel laureate meets Sharjah ruler - May 10, 2012
- U.S. State Department designates al-Qaeda operative Othman Al-Ghamdi - Jun 17, 2011
- India's ex-judge, Grameen supporters rally behind Yunus - Feb 24, 2011
- Mixed reactions to Yunus sacking - Mar 03, 2011
- Dhaka court hears petition challenging Yunus' ouster - Mar 06, 2011
- 'Charges against Muhammad Yunus politically motivated' - Feb 18, 2011
- Grameen Bank challenges government ownership claim - Feb 02, 2011
- Nobel Laureate Yunus to appear in 'The Simpsons' - Jul 26, 2010
- Yunus fears Grameen Bank's takeover by government - Aug 02, 2012
- Yunus can't be Grameen managing director: Dhaka - Mar 21, 2011
- Court rejects Muhammad Yunus's petition (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- France takes up Yunus case with Bangladesh - Apr 25, 2011
- UAE participates in global microcredit summit in Spain - Nov 18, 2011
- 'Friends of Grameen Bank' defend Nobel laureate Yunus from aggressive govt attacks - Feb 17, 2011
- Bangladesh set to resume Yunus court hearing - Mar 07, 2011