Saudi Arabian warships on maiden visit to IndiaJuly 25th, 2008 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) Signalling improvement in defence ties between the two countries, two Saudi Arabian naval warships will arrive in India on their maiden visit Monday, a Indian Navy official said here Friday. “The Saudi Arabian ships have been visiting Pakistan. But it is the first time that the country’s warships are coming to India,” the navy official said.
The two warships will arrive July 28 at Mumbai on a four-day friendly port call.
“The visit by the Saudi Navy ships is a result of the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium organised by India recently. Saudi Arabia is an important country in the Indian Ocean Rim and the port call is an indication how countries look at India in the emerging world scenario,” the official added.
Seventy-nine cadets of the Al Fahad Naval Academy will also be part of the entourage.
Saudi Arabia is considered a major ally of the US and most of its weapons platforms come from the West.
- Indian warships wrap up China visit - Jun 19, 2012
- India, Saudi Arabia to set up joint defence panel (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Four Turkish ships arrive on maiden visit to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Indian warships to sail through South China Sea - May 04, 2012
- President to review Indian Navy fleet next month - Nov 22, 2011
- India, Russia to hold naval exercise (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- In a first, Antony goes to Saudi Arabia on key defence visit - Feb 11, 2012
- Celebrating India-ASEAN ties on high seas - Sep 14, 2012
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- India calls for rational demarcation of pirate-infested waters - Apr 22, 2012
- Vietnam navy chief seeks expansion of defence cooperation - Jun 27, 2011
- India flags maritime troubles with China at meet with Japan - Nov 03, 2011
- Antony to visit Saudi Arabia, Qatar May 7-9 - May 03, 2011
- Saudi princess wants India to restore ancient mud relics - Sep 20, 2012