Saudi Arabia recalls envoy, closes embassy in EgyptApril 28th, 2012 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Riyadh, April 28 (IANS) Saudi Arabia Saturday recalled its ambassador in Egypt and shut down its embassy in Cairo and consulates in Alexandria and Suez over security concerns, the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The report said the ambassador was recalled for consultation after days of protests by Egyptians in front of the Saudi diplomatic missions, according to Xinhua.
“The protests and attempts to storm the Saudi embassy have threatened the security of both Saudi and Egyptian staff. The hostile slogans chanted by the protesters have violated the dignity of the Saudi diplomatic missions,” it said.
The protesters were reportedly calling for the release of an Egyptian lawyer and activist, Ahmed Gezawi, who was detained earlier this month at a Saudi airport for allegedly carrying drugs.
- Hundreds demonstrate across Egypt to demand Israeli ambassador's expulsion - Aug 27, 2011
- One killed in Cairo, protestors confront security forces - Jan 28, 2011
- Unrest swells in Egypt as cornered government bans Al-Jazeera (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2011
- Mubarak still in Sharm El-Sheikh: Egyptian official - Mar 03, 2011
- Syed Akbaruddin is new spokesperson of India's Foreign Office (Lead) - Dec 07, 2011
- UN's Ban calls for restraint amid Middle East protests and violence - Sep 17, 2012
- US secretly backing Egypt's rebel leaders - Jan 29, 2011
- Curfew takes effect amid mass anti-government protests in Egypt - Jan 28, 2011
- Libyan protesters storm US consulate, one personnel killed (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Saudi consulate staffer shot dead in Karachi - May 16, 2011
- Cairo running out of petrol, food items - Feb 02, 2011
- US on alert as protests over anti-Islam video spread (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- March of a million: Protesters converge in Cairo (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Saudi embassy attacks: Egyptian cop gets five years in jail - Aug 26, 2012
- Hosni Mubarak having cancer treatment in Saudi: Paper - Mar 02, 2011