Saudi Arabia appoints first female ministerFebruary 14th, 2009 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Riyadh, Feb 14 (DPA) Saudi Arabia appointed the country’s first female cabinet official Saturday as part of a wide-ranging cabinet reshuffle.
Saudi King Abdullah appointed Nour Fayez as deputy minister for women’s education, in a move considered a milestone in Saudi Arabia, a country in which women only started to vote five years ago.
In the religiously conservative country, women are banned from driving, and rights groups have frequently condemned the legal status and treatment of women.
The country, governed via a strict interpretation of Islamic law, prevents unrelated women and men from mixing in public. Women only make up to five percent of the workforce in Saudi Arabia, the lowest proportion in the world.
The cabinet reshuffle included changes in economic, justice and information ministers. The reshuffle - a rare event in the Saudi government - is the first since the King took office in 2005.
Changes also included the appointment of Prince Faisal bin Abdullah bin Muhammad as minister of education and the appointment of Faisal bin Moamar as the deputy minister of education.
The king appointed Muhammad al-Jasser as head of the Central Bank replacing Hamad al-Siyyari. Former Saudi ambassador to Lebanon, Abdul-Aziz Khuga was appointed minister of culture and information replacing Iyyad Madani.
Among the changes was the appointment of General Abdul Rahman al-Murshid of as land forces commander. Sheikh Mohamed Essa was appointed as the new minister of justice.
- First female minister appointed in Saudi Arabia - Feb 15, 2009
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Salman crown prince - Jun 20, 2012
- Saudi king chooses new crown prince, interior minister - Jun 18, 2012
- UAE leaders greet new Saudi crown prince - Jun 19, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- Saudi crown prince,78, dies in Geneva (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Saudi crown prince passes away in Geneva (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Zardari to attend Islamic meet in Saudi Arabia - Jul 29, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral to be held in Mecca - Jun 17, 2012
- Bahrain king reshuffles cabinet - Feb 27, 2011
- Pakistan PM leaves for Saudi Arabia - Jul 15, 2012
- Saudi Arabia honours Indian envoy - Jul 12, 2011
- Salman Khurshid arrives for Saudi Arabian prince's funeral - Jun 17, 2012
- UAE mourns death of Saudi crown prince - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: al jasser, bin muhammad, cabinet official, cabinet reshuffle, conservative country, country women, deputy minister, fayez, female minister, madani, minister of culture, minister of education, moamar, prince faisal, public women, s education, saudi ambassador, saudi government, saudi king, strict interpretation