‘Satyam scam won’t affect Indian IT sector’February 10th, 2009 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) The Satyam Computer Services scam is “just a case in isolation” and it would not affect the image of India’s IT industry, a Singapore diplomat said here Tuesday.
“What happened to Satyam came as a surprise and shock, but we are pleased at the speed of the Indian government that has replaced the board with very credible and highly respected individuals,” Tommy Koh, ambassador-at-large at Singapore’s ministry of foreign affairs, said.
The Rs.70-billion (Rs.7,000-crore) accounting fraud shows the “lack of integrity of two individuals and perhaps the auditors. We shouldn’t therefore punish the rest of thousands of excellent individuals there,” he said.
Satyam founder B. Ramalinga Raju, his brother B. Rama Raju, former chief financial officer Vadlmani Srinivas and two former auditors from auding firm Pricewaterhouse are now in jail in connection with the scam, arguably the largest one in India’s corporate history.
“We have been assured that the quality of services of Stayam will not be impaired,” Koh said.
“You can change misfortune into fortune if you do it well. India must show it to the world that it can face up to such crisis,” he added.
- Satyam is a singular case, says Singapore diplomat (Lead) - Feb 10, 2009
- Satyam case: Apex court notice to CBI - Oct 21, 2011
- Raju, others denied bail in Satyam scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Satyam case: no bail for Raju, seven others - Aug 30, 2011
- Satyam's Ramalinga Raju, two others get bail - Nov 04, 2011
- Satyam Ramalinga Raju released on bail - Nov 05, 2011
- Five accused in Satyam scam get bail (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- Satyam case: Andhra Pradesh High Court grants bail to Raju - Aug 18, 2010
- CBI plea against Ramalinga Raju's bail to be heard Monday - Aug 29, 2010
- Satyam case: Apex court notice to CBI on Raju's bail plea (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Satyam case: Supreme Court grants bail to five - Oct 13, 2011
- Satyam scam: Court dismisses discharge plea of nine accused - Oct 25, 2010
- Andhra High Court adjourns hearing on Raju's bail plea - Aug 05, 2010
- Apex court says no to Raju's plea on surrender (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Satyam fraud case: Sick Raju makes dramatic appearance in court - Aug 24, 2010