Satyam founder Raju seeks special status in jailJanuary 16th, 2009 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 16 (IANS) Lawyers for disgraced Satyam Computer Services founder-chairman B. Ramalinga Raju Friday sought special status for him in jail, saying he has stature in society and is used to a certain lifestyle.The plea for special status was made during a court hearing on bail application by Raju, who was arrested and lodged in Chanchalaguda jail here after he confessed to committing an accounting fraud of Rs.70 billion (Rs.7,000 crore/$1.43 billion) in the company he founded in 1987.
However, counsel for prosecutors opposed any special treatment for Raju, contending that he has committed a crime and should be treated as a criminal.
The court has reserved ruling on the matter.
- Raju brothers remain in jail, bail plea to be heard Monday (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2009
- Satyam's Ramalinga Raju, two others get bail - Nov 04, 2011
- Satyam case: no bail for Raju, seven others - Aug 30, 2011
- Ramalinga Raju discharged from hospital - Oct 02, 2010
- Former Satyam chief Raju gets bail (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Raju, others denied bail in Satyam scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Police get custody of Satyam's Raju brothers, CFO - Jan 17, 2009
- Satyam scam: Raju's brother fails to get anticipatory bail (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- High-flying Janardhana Reddy is now ordinary prisoner - Sep 06, 2011
- Supreme Court cancels bail of Raju, five others (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Richest MP Jagan is now prisoner 6093 - May 28, 2012
- Satyam's Raju brothers, former CFO in police custody for four days (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- Raju brothers bail plea to be heard Monday (lead) - Jan 16, 2009
- Ramalinga Raju stable in intensive care unit - Sep 08, 2009
- Satyam Ramalinga Raju released on bail - Nov 05, 2011