Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam to set up power project in Nepal, eyes Georgia, Bhutan (Lead)June 24th, 2008 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 24 (IANS) Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (SJVN), the hydro-power generation company promoted by the Centre and the Himachal Pradesh government, will set up a power plant in Nepal, a top official said Tuesday. It is also testing waters in Georgia and Bhutan to set up similar plants, its chairman and managing director H.K. Sharma told IANS.
SJVN has signed a pact with the Nepal government to set up a 402 megawatt power project there, and has been invited by a Georgian company to execute a 765 megawatt hydro-power project, Sharma said.
“We are also exploring possibilities in Bhutan, which has the same Himalayan geology,” he said. “Today, SJVN has the expertise to take up mega hydro ventures anywhere in the world.”
A team of experts from Bhutan recently visited SJVN’s 1,500 megawatt Nathpa Jhakri project in Himachal Pradesh, and had shown willingness to assign projects to his company, Sharma said.
Nathpa Jhakri, SJVN’s maiden project, commenced commercial generation from its six units of 250 megawatt each in September 2003.
During the last financial year, SJVN had registered a record power generation of 6,448 million units (MUs).
This year, Sharma said, the company has targeted a generation of 6,600 MUs. Last year, SJVN earned a profit of Rs.7.15 billion on a turnover of Rs.15.73 billion.
“India has a huge potential for hydro projects. Only 30 percent of potential has been tapped so far. We are keen on broadening our base in the north and north-east,” he said.
Currently, the SJVN is executing the 755 megawatt Luhri hydel project in Shimla district and the 1,020 megawatt Khab project in Kinnaur district of Himachal.
In Uttarakhand, three other projects - the Devsari project in Chamoli, and the Nitwar Mori and Jakhol Sankri projects in Uttarkashi - are under execution.
- Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam eyes Georgia, Bhutan - Jun 24, 2008
- Satluj Jal Vidyut gets hydroelectric projects in Bhutan - Sep 29, 2008
- Hydropower major forays into wind power - Feb 09, 2012
- SJVNL's second plant to start power generation in December - Jul 25, 2012
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Hydropower generation resumes in Himachal - Jul 30, 2012
- Second SJVNL hydro project to be commissioned by 2013 - Feb 08, 2011
- Jaypee's Himachal hydro unit to be commissioned May 15 - May 11, 2011
- SJVNL declares Rs.388.84 crore dividend - Sep 04, 2012
- Power supply restored in Himachal - Jul 31, 2012
- Record generation by Himachal hydropower unit - Jun 05, 2010
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011