Sathya Sai Trust defers selection of new chairmanMay 1st, 2011 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 1 (IANS) The Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust has postponed the selection of its chairman to next week, apparently due to lack of unanimity among trustees.
The trust Sunday met at the pilgrim town of Puttaparthi in Anantapur district to choose a successor to head the trust formed by spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba, who died April 24.
According to people close to the trust, there was lack of unanimity among the trustees and members of council of management and so they decided to meet again after the 10th day rituals of Sai Baba May 4 to select the chairman.
All the five members of the trust, including Sai Baba’s nephew R.J. Ratnakar, and three members of the council of management, attended the meeting, which lasted for two hours.
The other trustees include former chief justice P.N. Bhagwati, S.V. Giri, Indulal Shah and V. Srinivasan.
The meeting is believed to have discussed the issue of the cheque signing authority, the allegations being made against it and other key matters, sources said.
The trustees and members of the council of management had addressed a joint press conference April 28 to deny there was any difference among them.
They had also decided to select the new chairman in couple of days.
The trust manages the affairs of the massive spiritual empire left behind by Sai Baba. It runs educational and medical facilities in Puttaparthi, Bangalore and other places.
Ratnakar, the only family member of Baba on the trust, had said he would suggest two members with authority to sign cheques.
Only Sai Baba had the signing power since he formed the trust in 1972.
Srinivasan had ruled out inducting Sai Baba’s caregiver Satyajit as a trustee and made it clear that one of the trustees would be selected as chairman.
- All eyes on seven key people at Puttaparthi - Apr 24, 2011
- Devotees oppose government taking over Sathya Sai trust - Apr 21, 2011
- Sai Baba had no property in his name - Apr 28, 2011
- Crucial meet of Sathya Sai trust after funeral - Apr 25, 2011
- Trust says it respects Sai Baba's will - Sep 03, 2012
- Sathya Sai Trust vows to continue Baba's work - Apr 26, 2011
- Sai Baba's death leaves question mark on Rs.40,000 crore empire - Apr 24, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba's personal chamber opened - Jun 16, 2011
- Sathya Sai Trust issued notice, cops grill another member - Jun 27, 2011
- Sai Trust will continue its work: Andhra chief minister - Apr 24, 2011
- Trust decides to open Sathya Sai Baba's personal chamber - Jun 14, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, millions in grief (Intro Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
- Nothing was wrong with Baba before March 28: Sai Trust - Apr 28, 2011
- Venu Srinivasan not linked with Sathya Sai trust: TVS Motors - Jun 21, 2011
- 98 kg gold, Rs.12 crore cash found in Sathya Sai Baba's chamber - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: april 24, bhagwati, caregiver, central trust, chief justice, family member, giri, hyderabad, medical facilities, nephew, pilgrim, puttaparthi, rituals, sai baba, satyajit, spiritual empire, spiritual leader, sri sathya sai, srinivasan, unanimity