Sarkozy keeps date with Carla at Taj MahalDecember 4th, 2010 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Dec 4 (IANS) French President Nicolas Sarkozy fulfilled his long-cherished dream Saturday evening. He visited the Taj Mahal, the 16th century monument to love, with wife Carla Bruni.
Apparently impatient for the Taj viewing, Sarkozy rushed to the historic monument with Carla almost immediately after landing here from Bangalore. The French president was scheduled to visit the Taj Sunday morning, but changed the programme suddenly to late Saturday afternoon.
The French first couple spent about half an hour looking at the 17th century monument of love from all angles. The Central Industrial Security Force had sealed the whole area and tourists were asked to vacate the premises.
After arriving from Bangalore, Sarkozy spent only a few minutes in hotel Amar Vilas and rushed to keep his date with the Taj Mahal, with Carla in tow.
He had promised himself during his January 2008 visit that he would return to the Taj with Carla, who was then not his wife.
Senior district officials were present at the Eastern Gate of the Taj Mahal and the whole area from the Kheria airport to the hotel Amar Vilas was sealed.
Media persons and photographers had a tough time getting a glimpse of the VVIP couple. Some, however, managed to install TV cameras on the terraces and rooftop restaurants of some hotels in the Taj Ganj area.
Because of the Supreme Court directives, night viewing of the Taj is not allowed.
The Taj remains open for four days around full moon. “The chances are that he would return to see the Taj at leisure early Sunday morning,” a tourist guide said.
Sunday, the Sarkozys are scheduled to visit Fatehpur Sikri.
- Sarkozy, Bruni to visit Agra - Dec 04, 2010
- Sarkozy, Bruni view Fatehpur Sikri - Dec 05, 2010
- Sarkozy, Bruni round up Agra visit with Fatehpur Sikri (Second Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Sarkozy, Bruni spend an hour at Fatehpur Sikri (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Sarkozy's Taj trip hustles tourists out - Dec 05, 2010
- French President Nicolas Sarkozy, wife Carla Bruni visit Taj Mahal - Dec 04, 2010
- Tourists visit Taj Mahal under Supermoon - Mar 20, 2011
- Taj Mahal being spruced up for Sarkozy visit - Dec 01, 2010
- Special sight-seeing buses in Agra during CWG - Jul 04, 2010
- Lovebirds to flock to Taj on V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- Medvedev visits Taj, leaves for Mumbai - Dec 22, 2010
- Agra battles stray dogs - Jan 22, 2012
- French President Sarkozy arrives in India - Dec 04, 2010
- Carla Bruni meets HIV patients at Safdarjung Hospital - Dec 06, 2010
- Defence, n-power, business to dominate Sarkozy visit (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: 16th century, amar vilas, carla bruni, central industrial security, district officials, fatehpur sikri, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, full moon, kheria airport, media persons, nicolas sarkozy, president nicolas sarkozy, saturday afternoon, saturday evening, security force, taj mahal, taj mahal agra, tv cameras, wife carla