Sarangi exponent Ustad Sultan Khan deadNovember 27th, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 27 (IANS) Noted sarangi exponent and singer Ustad Sultan Khan passed away Sunday. He was 71.
A Padma Bhushan awardee, Khan gave his first performance at the All-India Conference at the age of 11, and has performed on an international scale with Ravi Shankar on George Harrison’s 1974 Dark Horse World Tour.
The news of his death came through a post by music composer Salim Merchant (of Salim-Sulaiman fame) on microblogging site Twitter.
“I lost my ustad - Ustad Sultan Khan, my guru my friend my idol. He passed away this afternoon. We will never have a sarangi maestro like him,” Salim tweeted.
- Sarangi maestro Sultan Khan passes away (Lead) - Nov 27, 2011
- Who made Big B nervous? - Aug 17, 2012
- Aamir, Zohra Segal among 37 artists to get Padma awards - Jan 25, 2010
- Fahimuddin Dagar's death ends chapter in Indian music (Obituary) - Jul 29, 2011
- I'm trying to maintain classical music's purity: Debu Chaudhuri (Interview) - May 28, 2010
- Shabana's jig at 'Love, Breakups, Zindagi' music launch - Sep 09, 2011
- Salim Merchant speaks about Indian Idol - May 08, 2010
- My foreign students have Indian identities: Hariprasad Chaurasia (Interview) (With Images) - Mar 03, 2011
- Salim-Sulaiman launch Lady Gaga photo exhibition - Jun 18, 2011
- Independent music returning in a big way: Salim Merchant - Apr 06, 2012
- For Salim Merchant, music is life - May 29, 2012
- Shafqat wants youngsters to take songs to next generation - Jul 04, 2012
- Lady Gaga loves the sitar: Fateh Ali Khan (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Light, enjoyable tracks in 'Love Breakups Zindagi' (IANS Music Review) - Sep 18, 2011
- Indian crooner Hariharan to perform in Dhaka - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: awardee, dark horse, exponent, fame, first performance, george harrison, guru, horse world, india conference, maestro, mumbai, music composer, padma bhushan, ravi shankar, salim sulaiman, sarangi, ustad sultan khan