Sarabjit to meet sister — after 21 yearsJune 16th, 2011 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, June 16 (IANS) For a long time to come, the memory of this Thursday will remain with Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner lodged in a Pakistan jail since 1990, as he meets his sister Dalbir Kaur after almost 21 years.
Dalbir went to Pakistan June 6 through the Attari-Wagah route with the sole purpose of meeting her brother and convince the Pakistan government to commute his death sentence to life imprisonment.
However, the jail superintendent Monday didn’t allow her to meet Sarabjit, who is lodged in Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore.
Following this, she filed a petition in the Lahore High Court Tuesday through her Pakistani lawyer Awais Sheikh. The court granted her the permission to meet Dalbir twice during her one-month stay in the country.
“We have talked to bua (aunt) over the phone and she confirmed her meeting with our father today. We are very happy that someone from our family will meet him after a long time,” said Swapandeep Kaur, Sarabjit’s eldest daughter.
The younger daughter, Poonam, who was denied visa to Pakistan, said: “We want our father to return home. He is innocent and has spent so many years behind the jail without any fault.”
Sarabjit is languishing in Pakistan jails for almost 21 years after being convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives.
Sarabjit’s family claims that he had crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in August 1990 in an inebriated state and was arrested there. But police in Pakistan claim Sarabjit, who is known as Manjit Singh there, was involved in acts of terrorism.
Besides, a court in Pakistan has issued a notice to the government, seeking a reply within three weeks on a possible presidential pardon to Sarabjit.
Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmed Chaudhry of the Lahore High Court passed the order Tuesday after hearing the arguments of petitioner advocate Rana Ilumuddin Gaz.
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan court seeks reply on likely pardon for Sarabjit - Jun 15, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Is arrested conman behind Pakistan blasts blamed on Sarabjit? - Dec 17, 2010
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: acts of terrorism, awais, bomb blasts, chaudhry, chief justice, death sentence, eldest daughter, gaz, jails, lahore high court, life imprisonment, manjit singh, multan, pakistan government, petitioner, poonam, presidential pardon, sole purpose, stay in the country, younger daughter