Sanjeev Nanda guilty in BMW hit and run case (Lead)September 2nd, 2008 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) A Delhi court Tuesday held Sanjeev Nanda, son of arms dealer Suresh Nanda, guilty of mowing down six people under his BMW in the early hours of Jan 10, 1999 in south Delhi’s Lodhi Colony. The sentence will be announced on Wednesday. Sanjeev Nanda, a grandson of former Indian Navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, was held guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder by Additional Sessions Judge Vinod Kumar. The maximum imprisonment for the crime is 10 years.
The court, however, acquitted Nanda’s friend Manik Kapoor who had also been booked for murder.
The other accused in the case, businessman Rajiv Gupta and his two domestic helps Bhola Nath and Sham Singh were held guilty of destroying evidence.
The quantum of sentencing will be decided Wednesday after hearing arguments from the prosecution and defence.
According to the prosecution, Nanda mowed down six people, including three policemen, that fateful night. During the arguments, the prosecution alleged that Nanda was in an inebriated state at the time of the accident.
Those killed in the accident were Mehdi Hasan, Nazir and Ghulam and three constables Rajan Kumar, Ram Raj and Perulal.
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Sanjeev Nanda guilty of killing six under BMW, sentencing Wednesday (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2008
- BMW victim's kin not hopeful of stringent punishment - Sep 02, 2008
- Nanda guilty, criminal justice hijacked by rich: court (Third Lead) - Sep 02, 2008
- Court to pronounce order Sep 2 in BMW hit-and-run - Aug 26, 2008
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009
- Court relied on circumstantial evidence to nail Nanda - Sep 02, 2008
- Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run case - Jul 20, 2009
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda found guilty in BMW hit-and-run case - Sep 02, 2008
- Delhi High Court reduces BMW convict's jail term to two years (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Chronology of the BMW hit-and run case - Sep 02, 2008