Sanjay-Manyata marriage legal, rules court (Lead)May 28th, 2008 - 8:47 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 28 (IANS) Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt was “extremely relieved” after a Mumbai court Wednesday said his marriage with Manyata was legal and overruled a lower court’s order annulling it. Hearing a case filed by Manyata, the Sessions Court said the order passed by the Bandra metropolitan magistrate was not valid as she had been legally divorced from her first husband Mehraj-ul-Rehman.
Mehraj Feb 15 petitioned the Bandra metropolitan magistrate that he married Manyata in 2003 and their marriage was still valid as he had not divorced her yet.
On appeal from Manyata, the Sessions Court upheld her contention that her marriage to Mehraj was dissolved as she had divorced him through ‘khula’.
Additional Sessions Judge S.N. Sardesai ruled that the divorce between Manyata and Mehraj was legal as per the Muslim Marriage Act and a woman was free to marry a person of her choice after getting divorced as per law.
The Bandra magistrate’s court had earlier said that as per the Muslim Marriage Act, 1939, the Muslim cleric (qazi) had no power to dissolve a marriage without the husband’s consent. It had termed as false Manyata’s claim that she and Mehraj were divorced on grounds that there was no substantial evidence to back it.
The Sessions Court also rejected as illegal the magistrate’s order asking Sanjay and Manyata to appear before it.
After the judgement, the actor said: “I’m extremely relieved by the court verdict.”
The couple had a court wedding in Goa Feb 7. Four days later, they married in Mumbai according to Hindu rituals.
Mehraj, currently behind bars in an extortion case, had claimed that Manyata’s marriage with the star was illegal since she had not yet divorced him.
Meanwhile, Dutt is expected to leave for US shortly to meet his daughter Trishala.
- Mumbai court upholds Sanjay-Manyata marriage - May 28, 2008
- Manyata still married to Mehraj: court - Mar 18, 2008
- I want to be like my father: Sanjay Dutt - Apr 26, 2012
- Sanjay-Manyata marriage case hearing adjourned - Apr 01, 2008
- No acting for Trishala: Sanjay Dutt (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Trishala not allowed to enter into showbiz, says Sanjay Dutt - Jan 17, 2012
- Drugs to deaths, misfortunes shaped my acting: Sanjay Dutt (Interview) - Aug 12, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt sings for wife, walks the ramp - Aug 06, 2011
- Mumbai court reserves order on Dutt, Manyata application - May 21, 2008
- Sanjay, Manyata say they are not 'legally married' - Apr 08, 2008
- With kids around, no time for romance: Manyata Dutt - Feb 02, 2012
- I have become a family man: Sanjay Dutt (Interview) - Oct 12, 2010
- Court order promotes 'balika vadhus' among Muslims: Thackeray - Jun 08, 2012
- Court tells Azhar to pay Rs.15 lakh cost - Mar 07, 2012
- Sanjay-Manyata marriage hits legal snags - Feb 16, 2008