Sangma pushes himself for presidentMay 22nd, 2012 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader P.A. Sangma, whose name has been proposed for president by the AIADMK and the Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Tuesday said he would urge parties to “respond to the call of conscience” and choose a tribal for the post.
Sangma, who met Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to thank him for backing his presidential candidature, told reporters: “We hope that other political parties, including those in the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) and the NDA (National Democratic Alliance), respond to the call of conscience in the nation by the tribal people and support us in the coming presidential election.”
Marching ahead in the presidential race after being backed by BJD leader Patnaik and AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa, Sangma is making attempts to get support from major parties.
Sangma, who was accompanied by other tribal leaders from different political parties, said: “We belong from different political parties but we are fighting a common cause of projecting a tribal as a presidential candidate.”
Thanking Patnaik and Jayalalithaa, he said: “Indeed it is time, a distinguished tribal leader needs to be the ‘rashtrapati’ of this great nation.”
Sangma’s daughter, Minister of State for Rural Development Agatha Sangma, told a news channel that it was “too early to say anything”.
“The UPA will take a collective decision and I hope it will be on the positive side,” she told Times Now.
“Right now no one is officially a candidate. He has a lot of potential and has a long way to go,” she said.
Sangma’s party NCP is a key ally of the Congress-led UPA. However, NCP chief Sharad Pawar has not made his stand clear.
The Congress and BJP have so far been quiet on the issue.
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leader Mayawati also declined on who her party would back.
“The UPA has not announced its candidate, the NDA has not announced its candidate, how can we comment,” Mayawati told reporters in the parliament complex.
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sagma for president (Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- President should be from tribal community: Sangma - May 17, 2012
- Syndicate could turn tables on Pranab: Sangma (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma appeals to NDA allies for support (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- I'm very much in presidential race: Sangma - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- I will win: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012