Sangma asks people to help fight separatistsMay 3rd, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, May 3 (IANS) Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma Thursday exhorted people in the three insurgency-hit districts of Garo Hills in the state to come forward and help the government fight separatists.
“The people must engage with the government to ensure peace and development. The guerrillas are not in sync with development, instead are responsible for the state’s backwardness,” Sangma said after releasing his government’s performance “report card” during the past two years tilted “Promises Kept,” here at the Yojana Bhavan.
Sangma’s call has come at time when the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), an outfit demanding separate Garoland state to be carve out of Meghalaya, has forced a 133-hour shutdown in Garo Hills.
Sangma said the government will not treat rebel groups with kid gloves.
He said militancy has been plaguing the state’s development for several decades now and the matter has been worsened with the mushrooming of splinter groups.
“Can we make militancy a lucrative venture by engaging in dialogue and negotiations every time a new group mushrooms,” the chief minister asked.
- Sangma asks Garo rebels to surrender arms - Feb 08, 2012
- Chidambaram assures central help to Meghalaya - Jul 07, 2011
- Meghalaya examining GNLA activities ahead of ban - Jul 21, 2011
- Meghalaya CM confident of tackling GNLA - Mar 13, 2012
- Will not withdraw forces from Garo Hills: Sangma - Dec 06, 2011
- GNLA chief arrested due to efforts of India, Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2012
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
- NCP demands Meghalaya CM's resignation - May 04, 2012
- Three Garo rebels surrender in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2011
- Five killed in Meghalaya ambush - Nov 01, 2011
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Garo rebels demand withdrawal of central forces - Aug 04, 2011
- Garo militant nabbed in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Chidambaram to review Meghalaya security situation Sunday - Feb 17, 2012
- Garo rebels, security forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: backwardness, chief minister, decades, dialogue, exhorted, garo hills, guerrillas, insurgency, kid gloves, lucrative venture, mushrooms, national liberation army, negotiations, peace, performance report card, rebel groups, shillong, splinter groups, sync, yojana bhavan