‘Sandeep’s comment on foreign hockey coach irresponsible’January 16th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 16 (IANS) India’s new hockey captain Sandeep Singh’s comments that the team does not require a foreign coach has irked the members of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) ad-hoc committee.A top ad-hoc committee member told IANS that the appointment of overseas coach is a policy matter and it is not for the captain or any player to go public on it. If the players talk out of turn and air their views in public, the authority will have to think of gagging them.
“Sandeep has no business to say whether there is need for a foreign coach or not, and that too when we are short-listing names for the post,” the official said.
“We are looking into the circumstances in which Sandeep has made the statement as a strong lobby is working overtime to scuttle the appointment of an overseas coach. We want to find out if Sandeep was under any pressure to speak out on a subject which clearly does not fall under his purview. He will be told not to go to the media with such irresponsible comments.”
Sandeep was appointed the captain of the team for the four-match away series against Argentina.
Harender Singh is currently the coach in-charge of the team.
- Sports minister Gill pulls up hockey selectors - Feb 04, 2009
- Gill, Kalmadi congratulate Indian hockey team - Apr 13, 2009
- Ad-hoc committee looking for a foreign hockey coach - Sep 26, 2008
- HI shortlists coaches and support staff for national teams - Jan 05, 2011
- A hockey victory to rejoice after gloom (Commentary) - Apr 12, 2009
- Sports ministry open to hiring overseas hockey coach - Dec 23, 2010
- Praful Patel appointed deputy chairman of AFC competition's committee - Apr 21, 2011
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Randhir unhappy with functioning of ad-hoc committee, quits - Jan 18, 2009
- HI lauds appointment of Ajit Pal's as Chef-de-Mission - Apr 03, 2012
- Zardari likely to sack PCB chief Ijaz Butt - Apr 25, 2011
- Spanish coach Brasa's blueprint for Indian hockey - Jan 16, 2009
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Ajit Pal named Chef-de-Mission for London Olympics - Apr 02, 2012
- India to send four hockey coaches to Beijing Olympics - Jul 31, 2008