Sanction Kochi Metro, says CPI-MJanuary 14th, 2009 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Wednesday accused the Planning Commission of refusing to approve the Kochi Metro and sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s “immediate intervention”.The CPI-M said in a statement that the Planning Commission wanted “a private party brought into the Metro Project on a Private-Public-Partnership (PPP) model … on the lines of the now controversial Hyderabad Metro project.
“The Hyderabad Metro project and the way the Planning Commission pushed it is a prime example of how India’s economic policy establishment is promoting private capital even at the cost of public interest,” it said. “The Planning Commission has been trying to impose the Hyderabad Metro model on to Kerala, which is a prime example of crony capitalism.”
The CPI-M urged the prime minister “to ensure a speedy approval of the Kochi Metro Rail Project on the basis of the funding pattern suggested by the Kerala government”.
It said the Kerala government wanted to implement the Kochi project on the lines of the Delhi Metro project where 30 percent of the project cost was to be borne by the state and central governments on a 50:50 basis. The balance amount was to be raised as debt from lending agencies.
The detailed Kochi project report was prepared by the Delhi Metro Rail Corp Ltd (DMRC) and the central ministry of urban development had approved it, the CPI-M said.
- Row breaks out over Kochi Metro Rail project - Jan 02, 2012
- DMRC engineers other Metro projects - Dec 03, 2010
- Central government unable to supervise all metro rail projects - Dec 07, 2011
- Kerala sets up new company for high speed rail - Sep 15, 2011
- DMRC signs MoU with Haryana for Badarpur-Faridabad link - Mar 26, 2012
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Metro Man rides into sunset, to pass baton to Mangu Singh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- Budget 2012-13: Delhi Metro gets over Rs.2,200 crore - Mar 16, 2012
- ABB to power Jaipur metro rail project - Apr 12, 2012
- Kerala CM to make major pitch for investment - Apr 16, 2012
- Delhi Metro to do preliminary work for Kochi Metro Rail - Mar 17, 2010
- NOIDA authority nod to Botanical Garden-Kalindi Kunj link - Jul 10, 2012
- Faridabad to come on Delhi Metro line - Mar 25, 2012
- Delhi Metro Phase III gets bigger, to cover Jamia, Faridabad - Jan 31, 2011
- 'Delhi Metro can use land for property development' - Dec 13, 2011