Samsung unveils new Galaxy smartphoneMay 4th, 2012 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, May 4 (IANS) Samsung Electronics has unveiled its third generation smartphone in the Galaxy series featuring the options of recognizing voice, face and motion.
The Galaxy S3, running Google’s latest Android operating system Ice Cream Sandwich, was launched at an event in London, according to an e-mailed statement by Samsung.
The new smartphone features ‘S Voice’, a voice command option to listen and respond to users’ words. The option can be used to go off users’ phone alarm, turn volume up, send text messages, organize schedules, and automatically launch the camera and capture a photo, reported Xinhua.
The ‘Smart stay’ is an eye sensor system that prevents the phone from dimming. It recognizes how users are using their phone by having the front camera identify your eyes.
In addition, the Galaxy S3 can understand users’ motions. If users are messaging someone but decide to call them instead, users can simply lift their phone to their ear and ‘Direct call’ option will dial their number.
The Galaxy S3 is a successor to the Galaxy S2, whose global sales topped 20 million units in February, 10 months after its debut.
According to market researcher Strategy Analytics, Samsung overtook Nokia as the world’s largest handset maker for the first time in the first quarter this year. Shipment of Samsung mobile phones was estimated to reach 93.5 million units in the three months ending March 30, larger than Nokia’s 82.7 million units.
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- Nokia launches Lumia 610 for Rs.12,999 in India - Jul 06, 2012
- Apple ousts Nokia as world's largest smartphone vendor - Jul 30, 2011
- Indian mobile handsets market grows 10 percent in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Samsung targets 60 percent of Indian smartphone market share - May 31, 2012
- Samsung launches smart TV for Indian market - Mar 18, 2012
- LG Electronics launches new flagship smartphone - Sep 18, 2012
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in Japan, Australia - Oct 17, 2011
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Samsung smartphones target 40 percent market share - Apr 28, 2011
- Samsung unveils Galaxy S3 - May 04, 2012
- Year of tech, tweets, tablets and telecom (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Samsung to launch cheaper smartphones for India - Mar 18, 2012
- Samsung Galaxy S3 sales top 20 mn - Sep 06, 2012
- Android taking over the smartphone market - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: 10 months, android, call option, command option, eye sensor, galaxy series, global sales, google, market researcher, motions, s2, samsung electronics, samsung mobile phones, sensor system, seoul, strategy analytics, text messages, third generation, voice command, xinhua