Samajwadi Party youth wing to defend Bachchan moviesSeptember 8th, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 8 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party’s youth wing has rushed to the defence of the Bachchan family, whose movies the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) has threatened to disrupt until Jaya Bachchan apologises for her alleged anti-Marathi utterances.Youth wing city president Farooq Ghosi told IANS that his party activists would not take the threats of MNS chief Raj Thackeray “lying down or by keeping quiet”.
“My boys will keep vigil outside all cinema halls and multiplexes in Mumbai. If MNS activists attempt to stop any film starring any member of the Bachchan family, they will do the needful,” Ghosi said.
He appealed to the Maharashtra government to take “suitable measures” to ensure that owners of cinema halls and multiplexes are not cowed down by MNS threats and continue to screen Bachchan family movies without fear.
Ghosi also challenged Raj Thackeray’s allegation that actress and Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan had insulted Maharasthra and the people of the state.
“She merely put forth her views on Hindi, the national language. She never mentioned anything about Marathi or Maharashtrians,” Ghosi contended.
On Sunday, at a promotional for her husband Amitabh Bachchan’s movie “The Last Lear” here, Jaya Bachchan expressed her decision to speak in Hindi.
This apparently angered the MNS and Raj Thackeray, who asked Jaya Bachchan to offer an unconditional apology after accusing her of insulting Marathi language.
Thackeray warned that if she did not apologise, he would stop the screening of all movies starring members of the Bachchan family - Amitabh, Abhishek and Aishwarya and Jaya - in Mumbai.
He also urged Marathi-speaking people to boycott all products endorsed by the Bachchan family members.
- MNS activists tear off Bachchan posters in Mumbai (Roundup) - Sep 08, 2008
- Apologise for 'anti-Marathi' remarks: Raj Thackeray tells Jaya Bachchan - Sep 08, 2008
- Jaya Bachchan apologises for 'anti-Marathi' remarks - Sep 09, 2008
- Maharashtra government to examine Jaya Bachchan, Raj statements (Roundup) - Sep 09, 2008
- Raj Thackeray meets Marathi filmmakers - Aug 16, 2010
- Rakhi Sawant, others join Raj's film workers' sena - Mar 24, 2011
- Jaya Bachchan 'sorry' for 'anti-Marathi' remarks, MNS still unhappy (Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- Raj Thackeray objects to Marathi surname in 'Bigg Boss 5' - Oct 22, 2011
- MNS topic is over, says Amitabh at 'Last Lear' premiere - Sep 12, 2008
- On SRK, Raj accuses Sena of 'double standards'(Lead) - Feb 11, 2010
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Congress calls Maharashtra stir 'unfortunate' - Sep 10, 2008
- Now Shiv Sena criticises Shah Rukh for calling himself 'Delhiwala' - Sep 09, 2008
- Sonali Bendre defends Jaya Bachchan - Sep 12, 2008
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011