Samajwadi Party MP trains guns at MulayamFebruary 5th, 2009 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 5 (IANS) Samajwadi Party MP Shafiqur Rehman Burke Thursday said Muslims would never pardon party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav for his growing bonhomie with rebel Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kalyan Singh, who was Uttar Pradesh chief minister when the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya was razed in 1992.Burke, Lok Sabha member from Moradabad, said several other prominent Muslim leaders in the Samajwadi Party felt the same way.
These included MP from Budaun Saleem Sherwani and Rampur MLA Azam Khan, who were reported to be even considering to sever ties with Mulayam Singh.
“Mulayam Singh Yadav has clearly betrayed Muslims by joining hands with the man who had spearheaded the mosque demolition mission,” Burke told mediapersons here Thursday evening.
“Mulayam Singh has apparently forgotten the contribution of Muslims to making what the Samajwadi Party is today.”
Burke’s disillusionment with the party president became more apparent when he went to the extent of suspecting an underhand deal between Mulayam Singh and Kalyan Singh even at the time the Babri mosque was demolished.
Commenting on the recent statements of the two leaders, Burke said: “The way these two leaders were busy holding a brief for each other arouses suspicion that they could have had some secret understanding to even get the mosque pulled down.”
Asked if he was planning to quit the Samajwadi Party, Burke said, “As of now, I have decided to contest as an Independent from Moradabad itself and I can assure you that the Samajwadi Party will have to pay for the current bonhomie with Kalyan Singh.”
- Discontent in Samajwadi Party over Kalyan Singh (Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Mulayam ignored warnings on Kalyan, says Azam Khan - Nov 20, 2009
- Samajwadi Party revokes expulsion of Azam Khan - Nov 03, 2010
- Kalyan factor raises questions on Mulayam's secular credentials - Jan 25, 2009
- Mulayam brings Azam Khan back into fold (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Mulayam apologises to Muslims for aligning with Kalyan - Jul 15, 2010
- Azam-Amar feud: SP expels its founder leader (Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Mulayam welcomes Azam Khan back in party fold - Dec 04, 2010
- 60 constituencies in final phase of UP polls - Mar 02, 2012
- Mulayam disowns Kalyan Singh after drubbing - Nov 14, 2009
- 'Mulayam Singh must seek pardon for Ayodhya comments' - Oct 02, 2010
- Azam refuses to call ceasefire with Bukhari - Apr 10, 2012
- Mulayam disowns Kalyan Singh after election rout (Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- Even Advani is welcome if he apologises: Amar Singh - Jan 29, 2009
- Communal violence casts a shadow on Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012