Saina relieved after MEA clears passport hurdleDecember 13th, 2008 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) India’s top shuttler Saina Nehwal has finally got her passport that will ensure her participation in the prestigious Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Super Series Masters Final starting in Malaysia Thursday.Saina, who has been in rampaging form this year and cracked the top-10 just a week back, was left heartbroken after the Regional Passport Office (RPO) in her hometown Hyderabad told her that the passport could not be renewed before Monday.
But the External Affairs Ministry promptly swung into action and cleared her passport Saturday.
“Thanks to the ministry, they showed urgency and told me to collect my passport today. I was really disappointed yesterday when I was informed by the RPO that I could get my passport only on Monday after the weekend holiday. That would have given me no time to apply for the visa,” Saina told IANS Saturday.
Saina has been in great form since making it to the Beijing Olympics quarterfinal. She is currently ranked No. 10 in singles.
Only the eight best players in the world make the cut for the year-ending Super Series Masters Final. The 18-year-old was invited to play in the $500,000 event (the biggest prize money event) after two Chinese players pulled out.
“It is a golden opportunity for me to play against the top players. I am in great shape and do not want to miss this tournament,” she said.
- Well done Saina: Big B - Dec 19, 2011
- Saina rates Hong Kong win one of her best - Dec 14, 2010
- Saina pulls out of season-ending Super Series finals - Dec 24, 2010
- Olympic: Saina starts her campaign Sunday - Jul 28, 2012
- Singapore Super Series: Saina starts her campaign against Lu Lan - Jun 14, 2011
- Olympics will be tough, says Saina Nehwal - Jun 19, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina best bet for a medal - Jul 27, 2012
- Saina changes Bejing heartbreak into Olympic bronze (Profile) - Aug 04, 2012
- My aim is to reach top 15: Kashyap - Aug 29, 2012
- Spirited Saina goes down to Wang Yihan in World Superseries Finals (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Arif sure of Saina bagging Olympics medal - Jul 08, 2012
- Chinese will be tough to beat at Olympics: Saina Nehwal (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Will have to maintain my fitness for London Olympics: Saina - Dec 12, 2010
- Super Series Finals: Saina beats Xin Wang, tops Group B - Dec 16, 2011
- Saina eyeing good show at India Open ahead of Olympics - Apr 14, 2012