Saina pulls out of Syed Modi GP, Jayaram knocked outDecember 21st, 2011 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 21 (IANS) Top seed and local favourite Saina Nehwal Wednesday pulled out of the Syed Modi Grand Prix badminton tournament citing fever while world number 29 Ajay Jayaram was stunned by 136th-ranked Pakkawat Vilailak of Thailand.
Saina, who finished runners-up in BWF World Superseries Finals in China last week, was unlikely to feature in the home event because of fatigue and the sudden fever put paid to her participation. Her first round opponent Ma Pai Hsiao of Chinese Taipei got a walkover to the next stage.
“Saina was suffering from fever during the practice session today. She also felt a pain in the muscles. Thus, the doctors have advised her at least three days’ rest,” said Uttar Pradesh Badminton Academy general secretary Vijay Sinha.
Ninth seed Jayaram suffered a 19-21, 19-21 against a little-known Vilailak in the opening round.
World No.26 Parupalli Kashyap beat fellow Indian Sagar Chopda 21-14, 21-14 in the first round.
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Korea Open: Saina advances to quarters - Jan 05, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- Shuttler Sai Praneeth qualifies from main draw in Japan - Sep 18, 2012
- Well done Saina: Big B - Dec 19, 2011
- Jayaram, Kashyap crash out of Swiss Open - Mar 15, 2012
- Saina reaches quarter-finals of Indonesia Open - Jun 14, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Syed Modi GP: Hidayat ends Varma's dream run - Dec 25, 2011
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Indian campaign over in French Open Super Series - Oct 27, 2011
- Saina enters quarters of Japan Open - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: ajay, badminton tournament, chinese taipei, doctors, fatigue, general secretary, gp, grand prix, jayaram, least three days, muscles, opponent, pai, participation, practice session, runners, sagar, sudden fever, syed modi, walkover