Saina, Kashyap, Sourabh advance to Thailand Open quartersJune 9th, 2011 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 9 (IANS) India’s Saina Nehwal defeated Japanese Mitani Minatsu 21-13,
15-21, 21-7 to move into the quarterfinals of the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold in Bangkok Thursday.
World number 4 Saina beat the unseeded Japanese in 46-minutes and will now meet seventh seeded Xuerui Li for a place in the semifinal Friday.
In the men’s singles, Parupalli Kashyap and promising Sourabh Verma also moved into the quarterfinals.
Kashyap, seeded 14th, scored a fighting 21-16, 19-21, 21-12 victory over Mohamad Arif Abdul Latif of Malaysia.
Kashyap will now face top seeded Long Chen of China.
Sourabh, who burst onto the international scene with an outstanding performance at the Indian Open Super Series in April, pulled out another fine victory, going past Beng Hong Kuan of Malaysia 21-19, 23-25, 21-14 in a tough duel.
The Madhya Pradesh boy will play third seeded Korean Sung Hwan Park in the quarterfinals.
The doubles combination of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa, however, lost 21-23,
13-21 to Hong Kong’s Lok Yan Poon and Ying Suet Tse in the first round.
Also eliminated in the first round were men’s doubles pair of Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas, who went down 8-21, 14-21 to fifth seeded Chinese Biao Chai and Zhendong Guo.
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh continues his giant-killing spree - Apr 28, 2011
- Indian shuttlers disappoint at Japan Open - Sep 20, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Thailand Open: Saina crashes out; Kashyap, Sourabh also lose - Jun 10, 2011
- Seven Indians qualify for main draw of India Open Super Series - Apr 26, 2011
- World Badminton: Jwala, Ashwini storm into semis, Saina exits (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Four Indians in quarters of China Masters - Sep 13, 2012
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- Asian Games badminton: Saina moves into quarterfinals (Lead) - Nov 17, 2010
- Asian Games badminton: Saina, Sridhar advance, Kashyap out (Second Lead) - Nov 17, 2010
- Gopichand pins faith on new bunch of youngsters - Apr 28, 2011