Sai Baba’s life inspired people: Sonia GandhiApril 24th, 2011 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Sunday expressed her condolences to the devotees of Sathya Sai Baba who passed away earlier in the day.
“I am pained at the demise of Puttaparthi Sai Baba. He was a spiritual person whom millions followed. His life has inspired people in the country and abroad towards spirituality and religion,” Gandhi said in a statement released here.
“In addition, the institutions he created for social benefits will be remembered for long. The vacuum created by his death is uncommon. At this sad moment I express my heartfelt condolence to his devotees,” she said.
In Shimla, Himachal Pradesh Governor Urmila Singh and Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal expressed sorrow over Sai Baba’s demise.
“Charitable works of Sathya Sai Baba were exemplary and contributed immensely in the upliftment of the poor and needy,” Urmila Singh said in a statement.
Dhumal said Baba was a source of inspiration to people of all faiths.
Sathya Sai Baba, one of India’s most famous spiritual leaders with millions of followers in the country and abroad, died at Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh Sunday morning after a prolonged illness. He was 85.
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, millions in grief (Intro Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
- Political leaders condole Sathya Sai Baba's death - Apr 24, 2011
- Mumbai mourns for Sathya Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- Azad, Abdullah condole death of Sathya Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, millions grieve (Third Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Krishna, Dikshit condole death of Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, leaving millions to grieve (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2011
- Twitter abuzz with Sathya Sai Baba's death - Apr 25, 2011
- Vice President Ansari condoles demise of Sathya Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- Sai Baba devotees celebrate Avataar declaration day - Oct 20, 2011
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi pay respects to Satya Sai Baba - Apr 26, 2011
- Sai Baba's ashram resumes celebrating festivals - May 17, 2011
- Spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba passes away (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- PM, Sonia Gandhi to visit Puttaparthi tomorrow - Apr 25, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba breathes his last - Apr 24, 2011