Sahara Force India happy with performanceOctober 29th, 2011 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 29 (IANS) Sahara Force India driver Adrian Sutil is happy with his eighth place finish in the qualifying race Saturday and feels the team will be “more competitive” during Sunday’s inaugural Indian Grand Prix than they were in the previous race in South Korea.
Force India finished tenth and eleventh in the Korean GP, which was also the latest addition in the season.
Sutil’s eighth pole position at the Buddh International Circuit (BIC) is one of his best in the season while his team-mate Paul Di Resta will begin the race from the 12th place.
“We’ve been saying all week that this is a special race for us so I’m very happy with today’s qualifying performance. We are so determined to do well here and today’s result is the first step towards that,” Sutil said.
“P8 is one of my best qualifying results of the season and I think it was the maximum we could achieve from the session. The balance of the car was excellent and I really enjoy this circuit, which seems to suit my driving style. But tomorrow is the important day and now we have to think hard about the strategy we will run. I feel very comfortable with the car and I think we will be more competitive than we were in Korea,” he said.
Di Resta was disappointed with his performance but hopes to turn up better for the final race.
“Starting P12 is a bit disappointing really, because we looked quite strong this morning. But I struggled with a bit of understeer in the high-speed corners and we couldn’t fix it during the session. I think the conditions cooled a little bit, which maybe didn’t help us because I couldn’t get the balance quite where I wanted it,” he said.
“I feel that points are still achievable tomorrow and we seem quite strong on the longer runs. There’s a hard task ahead, but I will stay focussed and try to do the best job possible in the team’s home race.”
Team principal and managing director Vijay Mallya was also delighted with his team’s performance and hoped to get the fans’ support Sunday.
“Another excellent day of track action at Buddh International Circuit and I’m delighted to see a Sahara Force India starting the very first Indian Grand Prix from the fourth row of the grid. The whole team has worked very hard to bring our final upgrade package here this weekend and I think that showed in our performance today,” he said.
“Adrian clearly loves this circuit and was on top form this afternoon. Paul has also been very strong, but unfortunately he lost the sweet spot he had with the car this morning and missed out on making Q3.
“Still, we know we have a strong car for tomorrow and I’m hopeful both drivers can be in the hunt for points. It’s our home race and I hope all the fans will get behind Sahara Force India in what will be a spectacular and historic moment for India,” he said.
- Hamilton takes maiden pole in Korea; di Resta, Sutil 9th and 10th - Oct 15, 2011
- Force India's Di Resta 11th in Canadian GP qualifier - Jun 12, 2011
- Happy to log points in inaugural Indian GP: Sutil - Oct 30, 2011
- An emotional and special moment: Mallya - Oct 28, 2011
- Belgian Grand Prix: Force India disappoint, Vettel secures pole - Aug 27, 2011
- Force India keen to make a mark in their home race - Jul 05, 2011
- Force India confident of maintaining form in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2011
- Force India's Sutil and Di Resta 8th and 12th at the German GP qualifying (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Vettel takes pole in Japan, Force India to start from sixth row - Oct 08, 2011
- Force India drivers seek faster car to match rivals - Mar 27, 2012
- Force India aim to be back among points as F1 returns to Europe - May 17, 2011
- Karthikeyan completes race for first time, no points for Force India - Apr 17, 2011
- Force India target better qualifying spot at Monaco GP - May 25, 2011
- Force India confident of good showing in Shanghai - Apr 11, 2011
- Force India's Di Resta feels making Q3 will be tough - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: adrian sutil, bic, buddh, eighth place, eighth pole, force india, gp, grand prix, latest addition, little bit, managing director, New Delhi, p12, pole position, resta, sahara, south korea, team mate, team principal, understeer