SAFF Cup: Sri Lanka thrash Bhutan 3-0December 3rd, 2011 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Sri Lanka opened their SAFF Cup football campaign in style with a 3-0 thrashing of Bhutan at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here Saturday.
Nipuna Dewinda Bandara (35th, 65th) struck a brace while Mi Mohamed Zain (29th) scored one as the Island nation bagged three points from the match against the lowest ranked team in the eight-nation tournament.
Zain gave Sri Lanka the lead after he slotted in a cross from Chathura Gunarathna in the 29th minute. Six minutes later, Zain set-up Bandara with a lovely pass and the striker struck to double the lead in the 35th minute.
Bandara completed his brace in the 65th minute and could have completed his hat-trick with a brilliant solo run from the left, but his shot was saved by the Bhutan custodian.
- SAFF Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0, face Maldives in semifinal - Dec 07, 2011
- SAFF Cup: Impressive Afghanistan beat Sri Lanka 3-1 - Dec 05, 2011
- India rout hosts Sri Lanka 5-0 in SAFF meet - Sep 09, 2012
- SAF Cup: Afghanistan thrash Bhutan 8-1 - Dec 07, 2011
- Hapless India go down 0-5 to Zambia - Nov 29, 2011
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India need draw against Sri Lanka for semi-final berth - Dec 06, 2011
- Nehru Cup: India dismantle Maldives, go top of the table - Aug 25, 2012
- Impressive show by India's under-13 footballers - May 25, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India, Pakistan drawn in different groups - Nov 02, 2011
- India thrash Sri Lanka 11-0 in Junior Asia Cup - May 04, 2012
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- Churchill ride Beto's brace to beat Shillong Lajong 2-0 - Jan 18, 2012
- Can't be complacent against Sri Lanka: India coach - Dec 05, 2011
- East Bengal scrape past Chirag United 4-3 - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: bhutan, cup football, custodian, football campaign, hat trick, island nation, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, lovely pass, match, mohamed, nation tournament, New Delhi, ranked team, saff cup, six minutes, sri lanka, striker