Safarova crashes out at WimbledonJune 26th, 2012 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Czech 19th seed Lucie Safarova became the fifth seeded player to fall in the Wimbledon women’s draw after a straight-sets defeat in the first round to Kiki Bertens of the Netherlands Tuesday.
Safarova was broken six times by Bertens, who is ranked 86th in the world, on the way to a 3-6, 0-6 defeat in a game that lasted just 50 minutes.
In the second round, Bertens will play either Chanelle Scheepers of South Africa or Kazakhstan’s wildcard entrant Yaroslava Shvedova, who reached the fourth round of the French Open earlier this month.
- Schiavone fights back to oust Robson (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Kvitova survives scare to reach Wimbledon second round (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Pennetta crashes out at Wimbledon - Jun 25, 2012
- Williams survives scare to beat Shvedova - Jul 02, 2012
- Hewitt gets wildcard for Wimbledon - Jun 13, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker Shvedova - Jun 30, 2012
- Radwanska advances at Wimbledon, Penetta knocked out (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Defeat no tragedy, it's just a match: Nadal - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova saunters past Peer - Jul 30, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova reaches third round - Jun 28, 2012
- Petrova returns to WTA top 20 - Jun 24, 2012
- US Open: Vesnina upsets Peng - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: chanelle scheepers, french open, game, kazakhstan, kiki, netherlands, ria novosti, seeded player, six times, south africa, straight sets, wildcard, wimbledon, wimbledon london, wimbledon women, yaroslava shvedova