Saeed Anwar willing to help Pakistan groom capable openersFebruary 11th, 2009 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 11 (IANS) Former Pakistan Test opener Saeed Anwar is willing to help national coaches in their bid to prepare reliable openers for international cricket.
Anwar, a vastly-accomplished former Test cricketer, said in an interview Wednesday that Pakistan has several batsmen who are capable of becoming world-class openers but they need proper training and guidance.
The 40-year-old former cricketer said though he mostly spends his time preaching Islam, he can take time out to help national coaches train the openers.
Anwar, who scored 4,042 runs from 55 Tests and accumulated 8,824 runs from 247 ODI appearances, said left-handed batsmen Salman Butt and Nasir Jamshed can become world class openers.
Pakistan has been dogged in recent years because of its inability to raise solid openers, especially for Test matches, since its last successful pair of Anwar and Aamer Sohail.
Anwar said it’s very important for an opener to have courage and determination.
“For an opener, it’s vital to have a big heart,” said Anwar, who holds the record of highest runs in an ODI innings. “Only a courageous batsman can become a successful opener,” he said.
“When Waqar Younis was at his peak, I and Inzamam-ul-Haq used to face him in the nets without wearing helmets. You have to take the fear factor out of the equation to become a successful opener,” he concluded.
- No current player in Cricinfo's Pak all-time great Test XI - May 25, 2010
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Ex Pak greats horrified over PCB's 'vindictive' stance that led to Younis' 'retirement' - Mar 31, 2010
- Inzamam says Pak should win World Cup for Woolmer - Feb 21, 2011
- Akram 'amused' at PCB seeking batting coach to aid 'struggling' Pak team reports - Aug 10, 2010
- Pak's domestic level batting basket "totally empty" : Ex-coach - Aug 06, 2010
- Afridi is 'immature': Younis in report to PCB - Jun 07, 2011
- Seven Indian cricketers in fray for ODI dream team - Dec 22, 2010
- Saeed Anwar says no to PCB's chief selector post - Feb 26, 2010
- Pakistan completely out bowled Australia in Headingley Test: Lawson - Jul 24, 2010
- Inzamam blasts PCB for dividing Pak team into Afridi and Misbah camps - Jan 25, 2011
- Batsmen need to show improvement: Waqar - Apr 13, 2011
- Waqar unhappy with team selected for ODI series - Aug 27, 2010
- Pak pace trio will worry Oz batsmen: Waqar - Jul 07, 2010
- Quarterfinal results of 2011 World Cup "really difficult to predict": Inzamam - Mar 23, 2011