Sadhvi, two men get magiesterial custody for Malegaon blast (Lead)November 3rd, 2008 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Nashik, Nov 3 (IANS) A court here Monday sent Malegaon bomb blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and her two alleged accomplices to magisterial custody till Nov 17, rejecting the prosecution plea for extension of police custody. The three, including Shyam Bhavarlal Sahu and Shiv Narain Singh Kalsangra, were presented to the chief judicial magistrate’s court by the Anti Terrorism Squad of the Maharashtra police.
Advocate Ganesh Sohoni, appearing on behalf of the Sadhvi, alleged torture by the ATS sleuths and told the court she would not speak unless justice was done to her.
The Sadhvi had earlier fainted in the court.
Hundreds of Shiv Sena, Bharatiya Janata Party, Hindu Maha Sabha and Abhinav Bharat activists held demonstrations outside the court in support of the Sadhvi and her associates, saying they are innocent and were being falsely implicated with a motive to malign Hindutva forces.
The ATS, which drew a blank in the lie detector and brain mapping tests performed on the Sadhvi at a laboratory in Kalina in Mumbai last week, is now likely to conduct a narco test on her in a day or two, sources indicated.
The police meanwhile arrested three more people - Ajay Raikar, Rakesh Dhavade and Jagdish Mhatre for alleged involvement in the blast. While Raikar is said to be the funds manager of the right wing Hindu organisation Abhinav Bharat allegedly involved in the case, the other two are presumably part of an arms cartel.
The Sep 29 Malegaon bomb blast claimed the lives of five people.