Sacking Afridi was a big mistake: AkramMay 21st, 2011 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) Former Pakistan skipper Wasim Akram feels that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has committed a big mistake by sacking Shahid Afridi as the One-day captain.
Akram said the 36-year-old Misbah-ul-Haq, who replaced Afridi, has no future and he doesn’t see him in charge for more than six-to-eight months.
“It was wrong to sack Afridi, who has recently brought glory to the country against all odds,” Akram was quoted as saying by Mobile ESPN.
Afridi, who led a rickety Pakistan team to the semi-finals of the World Cup, was sacked after a fall-out with coach Waqar Younis, also a former captain. The two clashed over selection matters during the ongoing series with the West Indies and the cricket Board was certainly not amused.
Akram feels PCB’s decision lacks logic and it was disrespectful of them to sack Afridi for “trivial matters”.
“Arguments between captains and coaches are not new in Pakistan cricket. Afridi was hailed as a national hero after the World Cup, and came back from the West Indies after winning the ODI series only to find out he has been sacked. What is the PCB up to,” said Akram.
“The present Test skipper Misbah-ul-Haq is on the wrong side of 30 and I don’t see him leading the side beyond six to eight months,” said Akram.
Akram, a former Pakistan skipper, said constant re-shuffling of players and captains will not help the team.
“It is a wrong step taken by PCB, and only (chairman) Ijaz Butt is to be blamed for this,” he said.
“In Pakistan, the coach wants all the power and when it doesn’t happen, the fight begins,” Akram said.
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Mohsin says he can get along with skipper Misbah - Oct 06, 2011
- Afridi refuses to blame 'sluggish' Misbah for loss to India in WC semi-final - Apr 02, 2011
- Misbah replaces Afridi for Ireland ODI series - May 19, 2011
- Misbah's appointment as Pak Test captain shocking: Akram - Oct 10, 2010
- PCB summons coach Waqar for probe in team rift - May 30, 2011
- Misbah not desperate to head Pakistan's ODI squad - May 30, 2011
- Afridi to captain at World Cup - Feb 04, 2011
- Misbah has 'best cricket brain' in Pak: Lawson - Oct 12, 2010
- Pakistan team gets rousing welcome on return - Apr 01, 2011
- Afridi, Akmal not in new PCB contracts - Aug 08, 2011
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Afridi cites humiliation, declines to play under 'this PCB' - May 31, 2011
- Afridi's loss in NZ will be Misbah's gain in Pak WC captaincy issue: Aamir Sohail - Jan 27, 2011
- West Indies to bat against Pakistan - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: afridi, butt, eight months, espn, haq, national hero, New Delhi, odi series, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan team, selection matters, semi finals, skipper, trivial matters, waqar, wasim akram, west indies, world cup, wrong side