Sacked Assam minister’s jail term extendedJuly 6th, 2008 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) A court here Saturday extended the jail term of sacked Assam education minister Ripun Borah, arrested last month for allegedly trying to bribe an officer investigating a murder case. Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge R.K. Yadav extended Borah’s judicial custody till July 18.
The court has already rejected his bail plea on the ground that the investigations in the murder case were at an initial stage. It also rejected the bail pleas of co-accused Mukul Pathak and R.K. Maheshwari.
Opposing the bail plea, the CBI contended that Borah could try to influence the course of the probe if he was freed.
“The accused can tamper with the evidence and can influence the witnesses who are yet to be examined. Also, documents related to the case are yet to be traced,” the CBI told the court.
The investigating agency arrested Borah for offering a bribe of Rs.1.7 million to one of its officials to influence the probe into the murder of Congress leader Daniel Topno.
The CBI alleged that Borah tried to bribe Deputy Superintendent of Police A.B. Gupta, who was probing if the minister had any role in the murder.
According to the investigating agency, Borah, along with conduit Pathak, had come to Delhi June 2 and invited the official to a hotel at Sunder Nagar in south Delhi. Pathak worked for an Assamese newspaper.
Borah was removed from the Assam cabinet hours after his arrest.
- Sacked Assam education minister gets bail in bribery case - Aug 05, 2008
- Sacked Assam minister's bail plea rejected - Jun 09, 2008
- Sacked Assam minister in jail for two weeks (Lead) - Jun 07, 2008
- Sacked Assam minister sent to three-day police custody - Jun 04, 2008
- Sacked Assam minister in jail, expelled from Congress (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2008
- 2G: Apex court notice to CBI on Behura's bail (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- NALCO chief's bail plea dismissed - Sep 11, 2011
- Ex-NALCO chief's bail plea rejected - Jun 09, 2011
- ONGC official held for bribe sent to judicial custody - Feb 08, 2012
- Sacked Assam minister in jail till June 21 - Jun 07, 2008
- 2G scam: Is CBI selective in opposing bail pleas? - Apr 09, 2012
- 2G scam: Bail pleas of five corporate honchos rejected (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Bihar legislator murder: Court grants bail to editor - Apr 28, 2011
- Fresh arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012